Thomson Cruises fleet
Review of Thomson Cruises
Thomson Cruises is a Thomson-operated British cruise line, that offers low-price voyages around Europe with ships from Holland America Line and Louis Cruise Lines.
Initially, the company entered cruise market in 1973. Due to the rising fuel costs, in 1976 it was terminated. Thomson Cruises restarted the cruise line in 1995 and nowadays holds 1% market share of worldwide cruise industry.
Thomson Cruises has its own unique place in the British cruise market as cruise division of the largest tour operator and travel agency in Britain. After its foundation in 1965, the company soon established dominant position in the British tour market with own airlines and travel agencies.
Two Greek ocean liners were chartered by Thomson in 1973, but the company failed to capture audience, like other cruise lines of the 70s. Operations restarted in 1995 after Thomson Cruises chartered the tiny Sapphire ship from Louis Cruise Lines. Soon the company chartered other ships, among which Island Breeze owned by Premier Cruises, Topaz and Emerald.
Thomson Cruises aimed an effect on the British market just like Carnival did in the United States. Package holidays had already been very popular in the United Kingdom, and the company wanted the same for cruising. Despite the aging ships, Thomson cruises attracted an ever-increasing number of Britons- first-time cruisers with attractive fares and presence of company’s travel agencies across Britain.
- In the 1990s Thomson Cruises began working as budget cruise operator and improved its product becoming more successful in cruise industry by improving amenities, ships and service and introducing a wider range of itineraries.
- Royal Caribbean sold its stake in Island Cruises to TUI Travel (Thomson Cruises’ parent company) in 2008. In 2009 Island Star left the fleet and joined the Spanish brand of Royal Caribbean - Pullmantur.
- Island Escape joined Thomson fleet in 2009 and continued to offer informal cruises to the U.K. market. The latest addition to the fleet is Thomson Dream. The vessel joined in spring 2010 from Costa Cruises.
- In March 2015, Royal Caribbean International (RCI) announced they had agreed to sell Splendour of the Seas to TUI in the second quarter of 2016. TUI would lease the vessel to Thomson Cruises in order to replace Island Escape.
- In May 2015, TUI Group announced plans for Mein Schiff 1 and Mein Schiff 2 to be transferred to Thomson over the next few years.
- In October 2015, Island Cruises was discontinued after its sole ship Island Escape completed her last sailing with Thomson Cruises.
A cruise and stay holiday with Thomson Cruises at a Thomson hotel or apartment is a possibility to take the best of both worlds. You can choose to have the stays either at the beginning or at the end of your cruise.
Onboard cuisine offers everything you can think about - from healthy options to exotic local specialties and culinary choices on offer. Daytime entertainment with Thomson cruises is great for all members of the family. There are also different activities for children onboard and special children’s menu for junior diners. You can relax each evening in the wide range of bars and lounges or enjoy first class entertainment with singers and comedians.
Itinerary of Thomson Cruises
With a large selection of destinations and itineraries, Thomson Cruises may show you the whole world. With a variety of UK cruises with departures from Southampton, Newcastle and Harwich; cruise and fly holidays from a large number of airports (available departures from over twenty UK airports), Thomson Cruises sail in the Red Sea and Canary Islands during winter, the Mediterranean in summer. There are about a hundred different destinations to explore aboard Thomson ships.
In 2017 Thomson Cruises returns to the United Kingdom with a series of sailings departing from Newcastle. The line will base its Thomson Celebration in Newcastle, UK throughout summer 2017. The 1,254-passenger vessel will offer 4 to 14-night itineraries to Scandinavia, the Baltics and the Norwegian Fjords, including Stockholm, Copenhagen, Saint Petersburg and Iceland. It is the first time the line has based a ship in the UK since 2014.
Thomson cruise itinerary changes
In March 2016, Thomson announced the company will return to the UK in 2017. The line will offer a series of Thomson Celebration ship itineraries leaving out of Newcastle England throughout the 2017's summer. The ship's schedule has 4-nights to 14-nights long cruises to Iceland, Norwegian Fjords, Scandinavia and Russia, with ports of call Copenhagen, Stockholm, St Petersburg.
- Thomson Celebration (1984, former ms Noordam), joined the fleet in 2005. During summer, the ship operates Adriatic Sea cruises leaving round-trip from Dubrovnik Croatia. During winter it offers Persian Gulf cruises from Dubai.
- Thomson Dream (1986, former ms Homeric, ms Westerdam, ms Costa Europa), joined the fleet in 2010. During summer, the ship offers Eastern Mediterranean cruises leaving round-trip from Corfu Greece. During winter it offers Caribbean cruises leaving round-trip from Jamaica (Montego Bay).
- Thomson Majesty (1992, former ms Royal Majesty, ms Norwegian Majesty, ms Louis Majesty), joined the fleet in 2012. The ship operates on year-round itinerary program with round-trip Madeira and Canary Islands cruises with departures from Tenerife and Gran Canaria.
- Thomson Spirit (1983, former ms Nieuw Amsterdam, ms Patriot, ms Spirit), joined the fleet in 2003. The ship offers year-round European itineraries - Western Mediterranean cruises from Malaga and round-trip Madeira and Canary Islands cruises with departures from Tenerife and Gran Canaria.
- TUI Discovery (1996, former Royal Caribbean ship "Splendour of the Seas"), joined the fleet in 2016. The ship offers year-round Western Mediterranean leaving round-trip from Palma de Mallorca.
- TUI Discovery 2 (1995, former Royal Caribbean ship "Legend of the Seas"), joins the fleet in Spring 2017. The ship will operate Mediterranean cruises (leaving from Malaga Spain) and Canary Islands cruises (out of Tenerife to ports in the Canaries, as well as Morocco and Funchal Madeira). The new ship's cruises were available for booking on July 21, 2016. The inaugural cruise's ports of call are Barcelona, Valencia, Porto, Ibiza, Marseille. The Canary Islands repositioning is in September 2017.
- Island Escape (1982, former ms Scandinavia, ms Stardancer, ms Viking Serenade). Joined the Thomson fleet in 2009. Left the fleet in 2015 and is currently operated as "Ocean Gala" (privately chartered ship and a floating hotel).
Guatemala was introduced together with more calls in Cuba in an expanded Caribbean program by Thomson Cruises for winter 2017-2018. Three of the company's ships will be based in the region including Thomson Celebration, moving to a new homeport of La Romana, Dominican Republic. All-inclusive ships TUI Discovery and the newest addition TUI Discovery 2 will join Celebration and sail out of Bridgetown and Montego Bay, respectively.
Thomson Cruises related cruise news
Guatemala was introduced together with more calls in Cuba in an expanded Caribbean program by Thomson Cruises for winter 2017-2018. Three of the...November 15, 2016
After having left the port of Utansjo, Sweden on November 3 and subsequent bunkering stop off Tallinn this week, Ocean Gala arrived in Esbjerg on...November 13, 2016
Dubai expects a 20% increase in cruise passenger numbers this season as new vessels call on the city. DCT (Dubai Cruise Tourism) expects 157 ship...October 28, 2016
The Thomson Cruises' ship Thomson Majesty has lost propulsion power following minor fire in the engine room off Livorno. The ship left the port...October 24, 2016
Portuguese newspapers reported that Thomson Cruises' ship Thomson Spirit, with more than a thousand passengers, became grounded while trying to...October 22, 2016
The Anglo-German tour operator TUI AG said its cruise operations, as well as UK source market continued to perform well. The company highlighted 4...September 29, 2016
Hundreds of demonstrators took to the water in Venice in order to protest against visiting cruise ships, because relations between locals...September 26, 2016
Meyer Turku yard started production of a new generation of Mein Schiffs August 16, Tuesday, cutting steel for Mein Schiff 1. The newbuild...August 17, 2016
Thomson Cruises announced that its latest cruise ship TUI Discovery 2 (still sailing as Legend of the Seas for Royal Caribbean) will be homeported in...June 30, 2016
U.K. cruise lines have adopted a "wait-and-see" approach to the current UK post-Brexit crisis, telling passengers it was business as usual...June 28, 2016