Review of Carnival Horizon deck 12 (Spa-Sports-Dr Suess WaterWorks)
- The fore-located Cloud 9 Spa and Fitness Center (open between 6 am – 10 pm) is the lower level of the ship’s wellness complex. On this level are located the Gymnasium (complimentary, floor-ceiling windows, equipped with free weights /TROY dumbbells, weight machines, treadmills, steppers, ellipticals, recumbent exercise cycles, Concept 2/indoor rowing machines, Kinesis wall), Fitness Studio (for classes), Flywheel (cycling studio), Thermal Suite (chambers), VIP Suite (private massage room with Large Whirlpool), Spa Reception, separate male/female lockers (2 changing rooms, each with complimentary sauna/steam room/showers). The lockers’ showers are glass-enclosed and multi-jet. Shower heads are massaging (1 rain head above, 4 side). Teenagers (12-17 yo) are allowed to use the wellness facilities (fitness/spa) only when accompanied by an adult. ZSPA (teen spa treatments for teenager 12-17 yo) include facials, massages, scrubs, manicures/pedicures, hair styling-coloring-cutting. To utilize the Cloud 9 Spa facilities (treatment rooms, Thermal Suite, VIP Large Whirlpool) passengers must be at least 18 yo. They should wear bathing suits during massages and wraps. Daily, at the Ocean Plaza Lounge (aft on Promenaded Deck) are scheduled complimentary health seminars (fitness-wellness-beauty) themed on aging, posture, detox, dieting, weight-loss, skin care, pro-collagen, acne attack /teens).
- The Thermal Suite consists of 6 heat therapy chambers – Tepidarium (relaxation room with heated loungers /ergonomically shaped, 38 C / 100 F), Laconium (dry heat bath, 55-65 C / 131-149 F), Aroma Steam Bath (aromatic steam grotto, 40-50 C / 104-112 F), Oriental Steam Bath (aka Caldarium, high humidity heat, 40-50 C / 104-112 F), Hammam Chamber (Turkish bath, 45 C / 113 F), Infrared Heat Chamber (mild radiation heating system). Thermal Suite facilities offer unlimited access to passengers booked in Carnival Horizon Spa rooms. Depending on itinerary length, full-cruise Thermal Suite passes are priced as follows – 5-day ($119 pp), 6-day ($139 pp), 7-day ($169 pp), 8-day ($189 pp). Currently, day-passes (priced $40 pp) are not available.
- Some fitness classes are complimentary (aerobics, stretching, abs, body conditioning, Tai Chi) and some are at fee pp (Yoga, Pilates, spinning, boot camp, indoor cycling, personal training sessions). Follows the list of offered on Carnival cruises fitness classes (lead by professional trainers). In brackets are shown duration in minutes and cost (prices in USD pp) – Personal Training (60 min $85 / 3 courses $210), Nutritional Consultation (60 min $85), Metabolism Test (30 min $35), Boot Camp (4-day body sculpturing $120). Priced at $12 pp are Tour de Cycle (indoor cycling, 45 min), Pathway to Yoga (45 min) and Pathway to Pilates (45 min).
- "Dr Suess WaterWorks" is a themed water parkwith two distinctly different slides, both located on Deck 12. The "Cat in the Hat" waterslide (raft slide with 1- and 2-person rafts) features kaleidoscopic visual effects and has length of 137 m (450 ft). Its entrance is a giant replica of the Cat's red-and-white hat. The whole waterslide is colored in red and white, making it one of the ship's most destinctive features. The "Fun Things" waterslide (named after "Thing 1" and "Thing 2") is an enclosed tube slide with polka dot-motif and length of 65 m (213 ft). Dr Seuss theme characters decorate the entire Carnival WaterWorks complex. Numerous memorable phrases from Dr Seuss books are displayed on clear partitions surrounding the facility. Dr Seuss' presence is also featured in other parts of the ship, including the Dr Seuss Bookville kids play area and at all themed onboard events (Green Eggs & Ham Breakfast, Story Time, Seuss-A-Palooza Parade).
- Dr Suess WaterWorks (open between 10 am – 5 pm) also includes a Splash Zone (water attractions – fountains, water spray cannons) and 2 mini racing slides (for kids). To ride the water-slides, passengers must be at least 107 cm / 42 inches tall (no weight restrictions). Minor passengers (kids under 13 yo) need parents’ permit. Eyeglasses must be affixed with head straps. Not permitted are – not toilet trained kids (also in diapers/swim diapers), multiple riders, flotation devices, swimwear with exposed metal parts (zippers, buckles, rivets, ornamentation), jewelry/accessories, the use of Splash Park areas without adult supervision.
- Seaside Theatre (huge LED screen outdoor cinema for movies, concerts, sport events, with stage for live performances, games, demos, etc)
- The Clubhouse & Bar
- SkyGreens (mini golf course)
- The SportSquare sports complex (served by the Sports Bar) has an outdoor relaxation area, an indoor club-style venue (The Clubhouse), SkyGreens (18-hole mini golf course /on 2 levels), Ping-Pong Tables, and a multisport combined court (full-size court for basketball, volleyball, football).
- Sea Dogs is a hot-dog stand open on seadays only (between 11 am – 4 pm, complimentary). This hotdog-shaped cart is positioned within the SportSquare’s relaxation area. The SeaDog stand offers 1/4 pound (110 gr) all-beef hotdogs with traditional toppings (mustard, ketchup, sauerkraut, onions, relish).
- SkyTrack / Jogging Track (10 laps = 1 ml)
- SkyFitness (outdoor gym)
- Spa Deck cruise cabins from 12201 to 12221, of which 4S – Cloud 9 Spa Interior rooms, 8S Cloud 9 Spa Balcony rooms.
Dr Suess WaterWorks park with slides
SkyCourse (ropes course) and mini golf
SportSquare complex (aft-located sports court)