As of April 26, Cuba will lift the ban on Cuban-born people leaving and entering the country by cruise ship, thus clearing the way for Fathom to start sailing as planned on May 1.
A statement was aired on state-run media, and then confirmed by Carnival Corporation. It said that Cuban citizens would be authorized "independently of their migratory status to enter and leave as passengers and crews of cruise ships." Arnold Donald, CEO of Carnival Corporation, said:
"This is a positive outcome and we are extremely pleased. We want to extend our sincere appreciation to Cuba and to our team who worked so hard to help make this happen."
Last week Carnival Corporation, which owns and operates Fathom, began taking bookings from Cuban-born guests despite the ban was still in place and had said it would delay Cuba sailings until Cuba lifted the ban.
The Fathom brand will become the first line to travel from the U.S. to the country since the revolution in 1959 when it departs for Cuba on May 1.