The count of missing following the explosion which sank Aqua Amazon in Iquitos on July 16 (Saturday) has risen to 7.
After the initial report that 4 crew members were trapped in the stricken vessel, another crew member and 2 external suppliers have been added to the victims' list.
So far 2 have been identified and 5 more are to be recovered. Another 8 crew members are in hospital, 3 in intensive care.
In a statement issued yesterday, July 19, founder and ceo of Aqua Expeditions, Francesco Galli Zugaro, said:
‘We have been in close contact with their families and have been keeping them fully informed of news of their loved ones during this difficult time.
‘Many of the crew have been with me from 2007 when we started. I consider them dear friends, not just employees.’
He added the source of the explosion is yet to be determined because preliminary investigations were still underway.
‘We are supporting all efforts by the authorities and will continue to do so throughout the process.
‘Our industry partners, guests, families and friends have given me and everyone at Aqua Expeditions the strength and commitment to stay united and face this tragedy together.
‘We are overwhelmed by the show of support that is continuing to pour in from all over the world and we will be eternally thankful.’
Zugaro said he will keep cruise industry informed of further developments.
For reports on other cruise ship accidents see at CruiseMinus.com