The world-class art and onion-domed spires of Saint Petersburg, Russia, catapulted it to the top of Cruise Critic's first Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards.
The awards, based on consumer reviews from Cruise Critic's website, were given out yesterday to cruise ship destinations across 15 regions. Other top winners include Paris, which was rated the best river cruise destination; Castaway Cay, owned by Disney Cruise Line, as best cruise line private island; San Francisco, as best destination in U.S. and Canada; and Sydney as best port in Australia/New Zealand.
Among the Caribbean, Bonaire was the highest rated island in the Southern Caribbean; St. Maarten as the top Eastern Caribbean and the port of Cozumel as the best place in the Western Caribbean/Riviera Maya.
The other first-place winners are as follows:
- Top-Rated Alaska Port: Glacier Bay
- Top-Rated Asia & South Pacific Port: Mystery Island
- Top-Rated Australia & New Zealand Port: Sydney NSW
- Top-Rated Baltic & Scandinavia Port: St Petersburg
- Top-Rated Eastern Caribbean, Bahamas & Bermuda Port: St. Maarten
- Top-Rated Southern Caribbean Port: Bonaire
- Top-Rated Western Caribbean & Riviera Maya Port: Cozumel
- Top-Rated British Isles & Western Europe Port: Amsterdam
- Top-Rated Eastern Mediterranean Port: Venice
- Top-Rated European River Port: Paris
- Top-Rated Western Mediterranean Port: Barcelona
- Top-Rated Hawaii Port: Kauai
- Top-Rated Mexican Riviera & South America Port: Puerto Vallarta
- Top-Rated U.S. & Canada Port: San Francisco
- Top-Rated Cruise Line Private Island: Castaway Cay