Aero Island is one of the Danish Baltic Sea islands, part of Southern Denmark. The island covers a total area of approx 88 km2 (34 ml2) and has population around 7,000.
- The island's name comes from the Danish "aer" (maple) and "o" (island). Since January 1, 2006 the Aero Island has constituted single municipality. Prior to 2006, there were 2 separate municipalities on the island: Marstal (in the east) and Aeroskobing (in the west).
- Aeroskobing, with its narrow lanes and pretty 18th-century houses was the island's main town, and still remains its main ferry port. The "skipper village" Marstal is famous for being home of many sailors and sea captains. It is the island's largest town and its principal shopping and commercial centre.
- With its low traffic density, Aero Island is a popular travel destination for cycling and hiking. The beaches also attract numerous tourists, mainly from mainland Denmark. As one of the isles making up the South Funen island group, Aero is favoured by fine weather, offering most sunshine hours in comparison to the rest of Denmark. The year-round temperature is a few degrees above country's average.
- On January 28, 2015 the EU Horizon 2020 administration confirmed the EUR 17 million application for a demonstration E-ferry. The objective of Europe's Green Ferry Vision is to perform a study for design, production and operation of innovative low-weight ferry ships for passengers and cars, powered only by green electricity stored in onboard batteries.
- Aero is the only island among larger Danish Baltic Sea islands not linked to the mainland with a bridge. There are car ferries from Aero to Funen, Langeland and Als. The island's airport is located near Marstal.
Aero Island cruise terminal
Most cruise ships to Aero Island dock (anchor) in Aeroskobing - port town on the central-northern coast. SOme ships may also stop in Marstal - port town on the eastern coast.
Port Aero Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Aero Island, Denmark. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|8 June, 2018|
The Aero Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Aero Island, Denmark.
If you lose the Aero Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.