Alken is a Moselle River cruise port and municipality located in Mayen-Koblenz (Rhineland-Palatinate), western Germany. The town covers a total area of 8 km2 (3 ml2) and has population of around 1000. Alken features a number of old houses and remains of medieval walls.
- Major sights of interest in the village include Laacher Yard, which is one of the oldest buildings (it dates back from 1093), the Fallertor (City Gate) from 1256, the military tower (also from 1256) and Malteserhaus, one of village's oldest houses. From here travellers can also explore Ahr Valley, one of the most picturesque of Rhine's tributary valleys.
- On a hill spur above the village stand Thurant Castle's ruins. The castle is situated within Mayen-Koblenz county in Rhineland-Palatinate state and belongs to spur castle type. Next to Thurant Castle which stands on the valley's steep shoulder, on the sunny side are spread vast vine gardens.
- From the middle of the 13th century the archbishops of Trier and Cologne were joint owners of the castle's site and had their property managed by burgraves. Each half of the castle, as a result, had its own bergfried, domestic and living buildings, as well as separate entrance.
- From the beginning of the 16th century this unique double castle slowly fell into disrepair and was turned into a complete ruin during destruction wrought by War of the Palatine Succession.
- In 1911, Robert Allmers (1872–1951) from Varel, co-founder of Hansa Automobil company and Director of Bremen's Hansa Lloyd factories from 1914, purchased the site and had part of it rebuilt.
- Today the castle is still in private hands, but may be visited from March until mid-November for a fee. It is a protected monument incorporated into the state monument list according to Heritage Monument Conservation Act of Rhineland-Palatinate. The entire site was declared a protected zone. Thurant Castle is also a protected cultural object under Hague Convention and displays blue and white protection signs.
Highlights: Castle Thurant, old City Gate, Ahr Valley
The Alken cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Alken, Germany.
If you lose the Alken location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Alken cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Alken, Germany. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
3 June, 2017
6 June, 2017
12 June, 2017
13 June, 2017
14 June, 2017
21 June, 2017
25 June, 2017
27 June, 2017