Ambrym Island is located in Vanuatu's Malampa Province. The island covers a total area of approx 678 km2 (262 ml2), ranking it Vanuatu's 5th largest. Its population (of around 7,000) live mainly off coconut plantations in the 3 corners of the isle.
- Island's volcanic activity includes lava lakes in 2 craters close to the summit.
- Ambrym Island was discovered in 1774 by Captain James Cook (1728-1779) - British explorer, Royal Navy captain, navigator and cartographer.
- Located close to the center of the long Vanuatu archipelago, Ambrym Island is roughly triangular in shape, with width of approx 50 km (31 ml).
- The summit at the island's center is dominated by desert-like caldera, covering an area of 100 km2 (39 ml2). With the human settlements' exception, the rest of the island is covered by jungle.
- The 1900-year-old caldera measures 12 x 8 km (7,5 x 5 ml) and has 2 active volcanic cones - named Marum and Benbow.
- Several times per century, Ambrym volcano makes destructive eruptions. Benbow's last eruption was in 1913, causing evacuation of the locals to Mele, close to Port Vila (Efate Island).
- In March 2017, Google Streetview added the Marum crater with its lava lakes.
Highlights: Volcanic Mystery Island
Port Ambrym Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Ambrym Island, Vanuatu. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|6 June, 2018|
|9 June, 2018|
The Ambrym Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Ambrym Island, Vanuatu.
If you lose the Ambrym Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.