Basseterre's cruise port is Port Zante. The city is capital of Saint Kitts and Nevis (located in the West Indies, Caribbean Sea). Port Zante is located in a bay on the St Kitts Island's southwestern coast.
Basseterre City (population around 13,000) is one of the oldest in the Eastern Caribbean. It was established by France in 1627, under Pierre Belain d'Esnambuc (1585-1637).
Port Basseterre is one of Leeward Islands' major commercial seaports.
- For season 2015-2016, Port Zante reported a total of 373 cruise ship calls bringing 913,716 passengers.
- Season 2016-2017 was a record breaker with a total of 1,125927 million cruise passengers and 569 ship calls.
- On January 12, 2017, the Sant Kitts Island was visited by 6 cruise ships with total capacity of over 16,000 passengers. These vessels were the Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas and Freedom of the Seas, Princess Cruises Regal Princess, AIDA Cruises AIDAluna, Thomson's / Marella Cruises Marella Discovery, and also the top-luxury mega yact SeaDream (docked at Nevis Island).
Highlights: Basseterre, Brimstone Hill Fort
Basseterre cruise terminal
Cruise ships to St Kitts Island dock (anchor) at Basseterre.
- Deep Water Harbour (Port Basseterre) is capable of both berthing and hosting of cruise ships or handling of cargo. It is located to the Bay's extreme East.
- Basseterre Bay is also home to bustling ferry operations between Charlestown and Basseterre. Numerous scheduled ferry trips are offered daily. Transportation is served by 6 ferries. Ferry service between Oranjestad (Aruba Island), Statia (Sint Eustatius Island) and Basseterre, as well as to Philipsburg (Saint Maarten) also exists, but with irregular trips.
Port Zante (on the photo below) is located in the centre of the Bay. This pier is only used for docking cruise ships. Port Zante can accommodate the world's largest cruise vessels and also features an yacht marina.
Second (new) cruise ship pier
In September 2016 was announced that by the end of 2016 starts the construction of a new (2nd) cruise pier at Port Zante.
- Two independent proposals were presented to the St Kitts and Nevis Government. For the project was contacted the Canadian Commercial Corporation. Before the new pier's construction, during peak season additional cruise ships had to dock at the container terminal in Bird Rock, and all cargo vessels coming into port had to wait before docking - until the cruise liners leave the terminal.
- In November 2017, SCASPA (port authority) and Canadian Commercial Corporation signed the contract for the second cruise ship pier construction. Works were scheduled to start in early 2018, with planned completion within 18 months (opening for the 2019 cruising season).
- The new docking pier is located west of the old pier and south of the Port Zante marina. For the building project were hired local subcontractors.
- The new pier allows simultaneous berthing of two Oasis-class vessels, which are currently the world's biggest (LOA length 360 m, GT tonnage 227,000 tons, max capacity 6780 passengers and 2390 crew).
- The initial pier design was for only one Oasis-class ship (project cost USD 32 million), but was later lengthened and widened (new project cost USD 48 million). The upgraded design also included larger Amina Craft Market with a dedicated parking area (for taxis and tour buses), as well as a tug boat (for docking assistance).
Basseterre tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
The Basseterre cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Basseterre, St Kitts Island.
If you lose the Basseterre location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Basseterre cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Basseterre, St Kitts Island. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
1 January, 2018
2 January, 2018
3 January, 2018
4 January, 2018
5 January, 2018
6 January, 2018
7 January, 2018
8 January, 2018
9 January, 2018
10 January, 2018
11 January, 2018
12 January, 2018
13 January, 2018
14 January, 2018
15 January, 2018
16 January, 2018
17 January, 2018
18 January, 2018
19 January, 2018
21 January, 2018
22 January, 2018
23 January, 2018
24 January, 2018
26 January, 2018
27 January, 2018
28 January, 2018
29 January, 2018
30 January, 2018
31 January, 2018
Cruise tourism in St Kitts and Nevis is currently on the rise, according to Minister of Public Infrastructure Ian “Patches” Liburd, and...December 16, 2017
After around 6 months of construction, the new Basseterre Ferry Terminal was officially opened on Wednesday, December 6. Mervin Lewis, facilities...December 8, 2017
A contract was signed for the construction of a 2nd cruise pier at Port Zante, St Kitts. St Christopher Air & Sea Ports Authority and Canadian...November 26, 2017
Friday, November 17, was an extraordinary day for cruising in St. Kitts, as never before had the federation seen 7 cruise liners docked on the same...November 21, 2017
A Carnival cruise passenger from Carnival Glory has died in Saint Kitts during a SNUBA ("snorkel" and "scuba" - surface-supplied diving...February 3, 2016
- show more news