Caen is a port city located on Orne River in northwestern France. The city covers a total area of approx 26 km2 (10 ml2) and has population around 110,000 (metro around 420,000). Caen is approx 10 km (6 ml) from the English Channel, to which is connected permanently via Canal de Caen a la Mer. The canal ends at Ouistreham, where a lock keeps the tide out and lets large vessels (including ferries and cruise ships) to navigate up the canal to the harbours of Caen.
- Caen is also the 2nd largest municipality in Normandy (following Le Havre) and also Normandy's 3rd largest city - following Rouen and Le Havre. The Caen metro area is Normandy's 2nd largest (after Rouen) and France's 21st largest.
- The city is located approx 2 hours northwest of Paris. It is linked to the UK (southern England) via the Ouistreham-Portsmouth ferry (regularly scheduled daily service). The small Ouistreham port is at the Caen Canal's end (English Channel). A ferry service is available between Portsmouth and Caen (via Ouistreham) running both supercat fast ferries and standard Ro-Ro (roll-on-roll-off) passenger and car ferry ships. The ferry terminal is approx 15 km (9 ml) from Caen with daytime shuttle bus servicing foot passengers.
- Caen is very close to Normandy's landing beaches, also to the coast, the popular resorts Cabourg and Deauville, Norman Switzerland, Pays d'Auge.
- The city is famous with historical buildings (most of which were created during William the Conqueror / 1028-1087) and also for the Battle for Caen (during the Battle of Normandy / WW2 1944).
- The Chateau de Caen castle was erected by William the Conqueror (who conquered England in 1066). The castle is one of Western Europe's biggest medieval fortresses and currently serves as a museum.
Highlights: William the Conqueror's chateau, Bayeaux, D-Day beaches
The Caen cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Caen, France.
If you lose the Caen location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Caen cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Caen, France. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
31 May, 2017