Campbell Island (aka Motu Ihupuku) is an uninhabited New Zealand subantarctic island, the largest in the Campbell archipelago. The island covers a total area of approx 113 km2 (44 ml2).
- Campbell Island is surrounded by plenty of rocks, stacks and islets, such as Dent Island, Folly Islands, Jacquemart Island (NZ's southernmost extremity) and Isle de Jeanette-Marie.
- The island's terrain is mountainous, rising to more than 500 m (1640 ft) in the south. Nearby long fjord, Perseverance Harbour, bisects it, opening out to sea.
- The island was discovered in 1810 and is an UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Campbell Island is the major seabird breeding area of southern royal albatross. The entire archipelago is designated IBA (Important Bird Area) by BirdLife International due to its significance as a breeding site for seabirds, as well as the endemic species Campbell snipe and Campbell teal.
- The most remote tree in the world is believed to be on the island. This is a 100-year-old Sitka spruce. The nearest tree is more than 222 km (138 ml) away - on Auckland Island NZ.
In order to mark the 200th anniversary of its discovery, CIBE (Campbell Island Bicentennial Expedition) was undertaken between December 2010-February 2011. The research expedition was the biggest one to the isle in over 20 years. It aimed to document the island's human history, to assess recovery of its fauna and flora (since the removal of sheep and the world's largest rat eradication program), to study the island’s streams and also to reconstruct environmental conditions in the past and to deduce climate changes.
Highlights: Southern King Albatross
The Campbell Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Campbell Island, New Zealand.
If you lose the Campbell Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Campbell Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Campbell Island, New Zealand. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
17 January, 2018