Diu Island is located just off mainland India (Kathiawar peninsula's southern coast) and separated from it by a tidal creek. The isle has atotal area of 40 km2 (15 ml2) and population around 45,000. On the island are located Diu Town and Diu Fort, and it is served by Diu Airport.
- Among the local attractions is the St Paul's Church - a Portuguese (Gothic style) church completed in 1610. The church is best known for its wood carving craftsmanship.
- St Thomas Church is now (part of it) a museum housing antique statues, stone inscriptions and amazing wooden carvings. The edifice was completed in 1598.
- Diu Fort (built by the Portuguese in 1535) is on the island's western coast. Portuguese ruled over Diu Island between 1537 and 1961. Diu Town is located to the west of Diu Fort. This massive fort features double moat, an array of cannons and cannonballs scattered around. A section of the fort serves as jail.
- The island's lighthouse is its highest elevation point (8 m / 26 ft).
- The island also has several chapels.
- Fortim do Mar fortress is another impressive stone structure built at the creek's mouth (in the sea). It is located approx 2 km from the jetty. Fortim do Mar has ist own lighthouse and a small chapel.
- Diu Airport is a civilian aerodrome also serving the neighbouring Gujarat territories, including Jafrabad and Veraval. The airport (built in 1954 by the Portuguese) started operations in 1955. The airline connected Diu Island with Daman City, Goa and Karachi (Pakistan). Today, the airport links Diu with Mumbai via the Indian airline "Air India Regional". In December 1961 the airfield was severily damaged after Indian air forces bombed the island. The main runway has length of 5922 ft (1826m) and width of 148 ft (45 m). The terminal building has 1 arrival and 1 departure hall (total capacity 200 passengers).
Highlights: Portuguese Fort, Cathedral of Sé Matriz, museum, Gir Forest
The Diu Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Diu Island, India.
If you lose the Diu Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.