Dusky Sound is a fiord in Fiordland National Park, on New Zealand's southwestern corner. Access to Dusky Sound is by sea or air only. No roads reach the coast at this point, but Dusky Track stretches to fjord's upper reaches from lakes Hauroko and Manapouri.
- One of the most complex of the plenty of fiords on this coast, Dusky Sound is also one of the biggest, 40 km (25 ml) in length and 8 km (5 ml) wide at its widest point.
- Resolution Island is located to the north of its mouth. Its Five Fingers Peninsula protects the fjord's mouth from northwest. Along the island's east coast, Acheron passage links Dusky Sound with Breaksea Sound (to the north).
- The large islands in Dusky Sound are Long Island, Cooper Island and Anchor Island. The fjord's upper reaches are steep-sided. The region's high precipitation results in numerous scenic waterfalls during rainy season.
- Dolphins and seals are often sighted in the waters, occasionally whales (especially close to Preservation Inlet) where southern right whales and humpback whales can be seen.
- Seaforth River is the longest of the many small rivers and creeks flowing into the fjord.
- Being a breeding site for Fiordland penguins, Dusky Sound was identified as an Important Bird Area.
Highlights: Fiordland National Park, Important Bird Area
The Dusky Sound cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Dusky Sound, New Zealand.
If you lose the Dusky Sound location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Dusky Sound cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Dusky Sound, New Zealand. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
5 January, 2018
9 January, 2018