Fanning Island (Tabuaeran) is among the many idyllic tropical atolls forming Kiribati's Line Islands. The island covers a total area of approx 34 km2 (13 ml2) and has population around 2,000.
- The island's highest elevation is 3 m (10 ft) above sea level (high tide). The atoll's inner lagoon has an area of 110 km2 (42 ml2). The lagoon's deepest water is about 15 m (49 ft), but most of it is very shallow.
- When Europeans discovered Tabuaeran Island, it was uninhabited. During the 19th century, the island was a copra producer. Currently, it has a small population. Best tourist activities are swimming, diving and snorkeling along the coast.
- The atoll's administrative centre is Paelau - located on the island's western coast, and south of a passage into the lagoon. The health centre is also there.
- Work opportunities were reduced by NCL Norwegian Cruise Line ceasing to call on the island, as well as dut to reduced operations of the Atoll Seaweed Company. Fanning Island was a weekly port of call for NCL, which had cruise ships based in Honolulu Hawaii.
- USA's federal regulations required foreign-flagged cruise ships to visit a foreign port. This was the reason ships to cruise to Tabuaeran, as this island destination was more cost effective (for visiting a foreign country) than to pay port charges as a consequence of US Passenger Vessel Services Act. The ship MS Norwegian Wind left the NCL fleet in 2007. Later, NCL introduced 3 cruise vessels to operated specifically in Hawaii USA. All these vessels were US-flagged and not required to visit foreign ports of call.
- Fanning Island was regularly visited by the Holland America ships ms Rotterdam (2010), ms Westerdam (2011), ms Volendam (2011).
Highlights: Idyllic tropical atoll, snorkelling
Fanning Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Fanning Island dock (anchor) at Napari (Napali) - a settlement located at the northern end of Tabuaeran atoll, Kiribati.
The Fanning Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Fanning Island, Line Islands, Kiribati.
If you lose the Fanning Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Fanning Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Fanning Island, Line Islands, Kiribati. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
6 April, 2017