Grand Turk Island is the easternmost of the over 30 Turks and Caicos Islands and cays. The island is a British Overseas Territory (part of the UK). It covers a total area of 18 km2 (7 ml2) and has population around 4,000.
Almost all of the island's residents are in the waterfront capital Cockburn Town. This small settlement features traditional Indian wood-with-shutters and stucco style buildings. Also here is the miles-long Governor's Beach. The 1840s built Guinep Lodge houses the Turks and Caicos National Museum, with displaying the Molasses Reef Wreck (Europe's oldest ship found in the New World. There are also exhibits on Salt industry, Loyalist Plantation Period, Taino Arawaks (island's pre-Columbian inhabitants).
The UK's Turks and Caicos islands land territory is sized approx 166 ml2 (430 km2), and the ocean territory is around 5000 ml2 (12950 km2).
- These islands are located less than 30 ml (48 km) southeast of The Bahamas (another UK territory) and approx 130 ml (210 km) north of Hispaniola Island's coast (occupied by Dominican Republic and Haiti).
- Most of the islands are sand-fringed and flat, with desert-like terrain (scrub growth). On some isles there are salt ponds, while others have limestone cliffs.
- Turks and Caicos Islands make up a British Crown Colony (self-governing status, like Bermuda). The islands' total population is around 8,000.
Grand Turk Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Grand Turk Island dock at a pier located south of Cockburn Town.
The island's cruise ship terminal is named "Grand Turk Cruise Center". This is a beachfront facility located in a beautifully landscaped area sized approx 75,850 m2 (784,100 ft2). The terminal's location offers a safe approach for cruise ships and berthing the whole year-round. The distance from the docking pier to the cruise terminal is approx 120 m (390 ft).
- The cruise terminal complex offers as amenities swimming (in the ocean waters or its large swimming pool), strolling along the beach, relaxing in the complimentary chaise loungers (on the beach and around the swimming pool), renting private cabanas (poolside), renting clam shell shades (for beach chairs), renting snorkeling equipment and floats. All rental services are at the Beach Rental Hut (on the beach). Beach side massages are also offered.
- Best snorkelling location is in front the Beach Rental Hut, with a few cannons and anchors submerged there.
- The terminal building houses Caribbean’s largest Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville bar, also a restaurant and a retail shop.
- The swimming pool is adjacent to the Margaritaville bar. Also here is the surfing simulator "Grand Turk FlowRider". The FlowRider can be booked as a shore excursion (through the cruise company). The facility operates with 2 high pressure waves producing a 3-inch layer of water moving at high speed.
- At the more quieter South Beach is located the "Beached Whale Bar & Grill" - a signature Grand Turk Island dining venue. Its menu's featured items are Coconut Shrimp, Cracked Conch, Conch Fritters, Seafood Chowder, as well as daily fish specials.
- The terminal's shopping complex includes numerous duty-free shops (luxury jewelry, watches, designer clothing), also locally made merchandise (gifts, souvenirs), food and drink facilities.. The list of represented store brands includes Diamonds International, Tanzanite International, Silver Emporium, Dufry, Colombian Emeralds, Effy, Goodmark, Piranha Joes, Dizzy Donkey, Del Sol, Ron Jon Surf Shop, Joelle & Jake, Indigo Pearls, Goldsmith.
The following map of the cruise port shows all its facilities (including all stores).
The Grand Turk Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Grand Turk Island.
If you lose the Grand Turk Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Grand Turk Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Grand Turk Island. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
3 October, 2017
4 October, 2017
5 October, 2017
6 October, 2017
9 October, 2017
11 October, 2017
12 October, 2017
16 October, 2017
17 October, 2017
19 October, 2017
23 October, 2017
24 October, 2017
25 October, 2017
26 October, 2017
30 October, 2017
31 October, 2017