Handa Island is located off the west coast of Sutherland, Scotland. Its name is of mixed Norse and Gaelic, translated as "island at the sandy river".
- The isle has a total area of 1,2 ml2 (3,1 km2) and highest elevation point (Sithean Mor) 123 m (404 ft). The north and west coasts are surrounded by high cliffs - reaching up to 100 m / 328 ft) and covered with birds. The south and east coasts have beaches. The isle is separated from the mainland by the Sound of Handa. Near Handa are located the isles Glas-Leac (south), Stac an t-Sealbhaig (north) and Eilean an Aigeach (northeast).
- There is a ferry service to the isle of Handa out of Tarbet (on mainland Scotland). Tourist boat trips are operated to Handa from Fanagmore (on the mainland).
- The isle of Handa is a Scottish Wildlife Trust nature reserve.
- In the ancient past, Handa was used as burial place. Remains of a chapel were found in its the southeastern part.
- Today, Handa is uninhabited island. Its last recorded population (in 1841) was 65. In 1848 they all emigrated. Its former inhabitants had a parliament (which met daily) and the island's oldest widow was considered "Queen".
- This Scotich isle is noted for its birdlife - Atlantic puffins, razorbills (colonial seabird) and guillemots (auk seabirds).
- The island is an SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) and is administered by the Scottish Wildlife Trust. Despite being a nature reserve, the isle is visited by over 5,000 tourists (including small cruise ship passengers) per year.
Highlights: Bird Sanctuary
Handa island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Handa Island dock (anchor) at Tarbet - port town on mainland Scotland's northwestern coast.
The Handa island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Handa island, Scotland.
If you lose the Handa island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Handa island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Handa island, Scotland. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
14 May, 2017