Herm Island is one of UK's Channel Islands but administratively is part St Peter Port (Bailiwick of Guernsey). The island is in the English Channel, located northwest of France and south of England. Herm Island covers a total area of 2 km2 (0,8 ml2), with len=length 1,5 ml (2,4 km) and and width 0,5 ml (0,8 km / north to south). Guernsey Island is located to the west and Jersey Island is to the southeast. Another nearby isle is Jethou Island (just off Herm's southwestern coast).
- In the year 933, Herm Island was annexed to the Duchy of Normandy but in 1204 was returned to England. During WW2 (1939-1945) the island was occupied by Germany. Since 2008, Herm is a private island property managed by Herm Island Ltd.
- In 1949, Guernsey purchased Herm Island from the British Crown. Among the island's most influential tenants was Peter Wood who maintained the property between 1949-1980. He and his wife built the school, and restored the St Tugual's Chapel. Teir daughter and her husband succeeded them.
- In May 2008, the island's tenants put up for sale the remaining 40 years of their lease, at the price of GBP 15 million. In September 2008, the Starboard Settlement trust acquired the lease's remainder (for considerably lower price) and formed the Guernsey-based company Herm Island Ltd to manage Herm for the trustees.
- Herm Island has population under 100. Annually (mainly during the summer tourist season) the island is visited by over 100,000 tourists. There are several buildings near Herm Harbour, among which are White House, St Tugual's Chapel, Fisherman's Cottage, The Mermaid (pub and tavern), primary school.
- Ttourists visiting Herm Island arrive mainly by catamaran ferries (operated by Trident Charter Company). As cars and bicycles are banned, tractors and quad bikes are the only means of transportation on the island.
Herm Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Herm Island dock (anchor) at Herm Harbour (on the western coast.
The Travel Trident ferry boat operates daily service from St Peter Port to Herm Harbour. The ship departs either from Weighbridge or Inter-Island Quay (depending on tide levels). The Travel Trident ship's ticket office is open daily between May and September.
The Herm Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Herm Island, Channel Islands.
If you lose the Herm Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.