Ile-d'Aix Island is located in the Atlantic Ocean, off France's west coast. The island covers a total area of approx 1 km2 (0,5 ml2) and has population around 200.
- The island is a popular tourism travel destination for day-trips during summer months.
- Ile-d'Aix is at the mouth of Charente River, between l'Ile d'Oleron Island and mainland France. The island is also close to Fort Boyard.
- During Roman tomes, the island was linked with the continent (Europe) at low tide.
- In 1815 (July 12-15), Emperor Napoleon (1769-1821) spent his last days in France at the island, following the defeat at Waterloo. He attempted to slip past England's Royal Navy blockade, trying to escape to the USA. However, realizing the impossibility of this plan, he wrote a letter to the British regent and finally surrendered to the ship HMS Bellerophon. The ship took him to Plymouth prior to transferring him to St Helena Island.
- Fort Liedot is on Ile-d'Aix Island. The fort served as military prison (between early 19th century through the 1960s).
- Access to the island is provided via an year-round, regularly scheduled ferry service (several daily departures) from mainland France. Ferries to Ile-d'Aix leave out of Fouras and during summer months also from Oleron and La Rochelle. As cars are banned on the island (except service vehicles), the only means of transportation is bicycles and horse-drawn carriages (for around the island tours).
Highlights: Tiny island of tranquil beauty
Ile-d'Aix cruise terminal
As this is a tender port, cruise ships to Ile-d'Aix anchor in open sea (near the island's southern coast) and their passengers are transported to the pier via the ship's tender boats.
Port Ile-d'Aix cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Ile-d'Aix, France. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ship||Arrival||Departure||Next Port of Call|
|19 April, 2018|
|Le Soleal||09:00||18:00||At Sea|
The Ile-d'Aix cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Ile-d'Aix, France.
If you lose the Ile-d'Aix location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.