Ithaca (thaka) is a Greek island located in Ionian Sea, off Kefalonia's northeast coast and to the west of continental Greece. The island covers a total area of approx 117,8 km2 (45,5 ml2) and has population of around 3,230 people (2011 census).
- The main island of Ithaca has an area of 96 km2 (37 ml2). It is the 2nd-smallest of 7 main Ionian Islands, following Paxi. Ithaca Island is a separate regional unit of Ionian Islands region. It is also the only municipality of the regional unit. Its capital is Vathy (Vathi).
- Contemporary Ithaca is generally associated with Homer's Ithaca, home of Odysseus. His delayed return to the island is Odyssey's plot.
- The island of Ithaca has been inhabited since the second millennium BC and may have been Cephalonia's capital during the Mycenaean period and capital-state of the kingdom ruled by Odysseus.
- Ithaca has been known by its today name from an early date, as inscriptions and coins show. Coins from the island frequently portray Odysseus. An inscription from the third century BC refers to Odysseus' local hero-shrine and games named the Odysseia.
- The Archaeological site named "School of Homer" situated on modern Ithaca is the only site between Lefkas–Kefalonia–Ithaca Triangle where archaeologists found Linear B inscriptions, near royal remains. In 2010, archaeologists from Greece discovered the remains of 8th century BC palace in the region of Agios Athanasios, which led to reports that it might have been the place of Odysseus's palace.
- The highest mountain on Ithaca Island is Nirito in its northern part (806 m / 2,644 ft), followed by Merovigli (669 m / 2,195 ft) located in the south.
- The harbor is guarded by Lazaretto Islet (Island of The Saviour). The remains of old gaol and the church of The Saviour are located on the islet.
Highlights: Vathy Town, Ithiki, Nymph’s Cave, legendary island of Odysseus
Ithaca Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Ithaca Island dock (anchor) at Vathy, port city at the northern shore.
The Ithaca Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Ithaca Island, Greece.
If you lose the Ithaca Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Ithaca Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Ithaca Island, Greece. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
26 April, 2017