Juneau is the capital of Alaska since 1900. It is located in the southeastern part of Alaska, sheltered from the Pacific by a belt of islands 120 km (75 miles) wide. Surrounded by ice, water, forest and rock, Juneau is built on a small strip of land between the Gastineau Channel and towering Mount Juneau at the southern end of Lynn Canal. Although not accessible by road, it's the biggest city in southeast Alaska with 30,000 inhabitants and home to a large fishing fleet. Juneau is also a creator's paradise and home to actors, artists, writers and poets who draw their inspiration from the wilderness.
Residents claim Juneau is the most picturesque capital in the country, while others describe it as the 'little San Francisco'. Cruise ships dock at the city centre and you can explore on foot places of interest like the Red Dog Saloon, State Capitol, Governor's Mansion and Cultural Arts Park. From the dockside ride Mount Roberts Tramway to the observatory 2000 ft above harbour. Out of the city you can go gold panning, see nearby Mendenhall Glacier and take a canoe or raft on Mendenhall Lake, go fishing or wildlife watching by boat, take a helicopter flight over the glaciers, or see a temperate rain forest on Douglas Island.
In 1880, for Richard Harris and Joe Juneau, the going was frustrating as they searched for gold with the help of Indians. Finally, after facing countless difficulties, they found nuggets "as large as beans." Three of the biggest gold mines in the world came out of their discoveries. By the end of World War II, over USD 150 million in gold was mined. The mines were eventually closed, but the town Joe Juneau founded became capital of Alaska and the business of gold was replaced by the business of tourism and government.
- There's a proposal by Juneau Assembly ("The City and Borough of Juneau Assembly") to exempt cruise companies from sales tax for goods and services sold onboard while their vessels are in port. On January 11, 2017, the city's finance committee voted 8-1 to approve a motion by the Mayor to amend the tax code and formalize the exemption. The proposed ordinance has to be drafted and brought to public hearing before enacted. The Mayor's initiative is welcomed by the cruise industry, which customers pay nearly USD 8 million in sales tax while onshore in Juneau. However, it has historically not paid sales tax for any merchandise or services sold onboard the cruise ships while in port. Similar exemption exists in Port Ketchikan AK created as an incentive for cruise vessels to dock longer. Cruise ships close all onboard shops while in port.
- A long-standing agreement requires cruise ship tour operators to pay sales tax. That would not change.
- In mid April 2016, in federal court in Anchorage AK a lawsuit against the Borough of Juneau was filed by CLIA ("Cruise Lines International Association"). It is over the spending of USD 5 per pax tax. Cruise ships collect port fees and pass them on the city. Juneau receives USD 5 entry fee per passenger in addition to a port development fee of USD 3 per passenger. CLIA estimated it has given Juneau over USD 35 million in entry fees in the period 2011-2015. CLIA represents 12 cruise line companies, among which are Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Princess, NCL, Disney. They contend Juneau has used portions of the fees on projects that don't benefit cruise passengers, thus violating federal restrictions on entry fee taxes. The lawsuit remains pending.
Highlights: Glacier flights, Mendenhall Glacier, Mount Roberts Tramway
Juneau cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Juneau AK dock at one of the port's 3 cruise terminals, with all 4 docking berths. The terminals are named Marine Park (2 berths / largest), Ferry Terminal, and South Franklin Dock. If all the 3 berths are occupied, additional ships anchor in the harbour and passengers are transported via the ship's tender boats.
There is a shuttle bus line operating between the cruise port and the Mt Robert Tram station. Its port station is located at the privately-owned AJ Dock. Daily bus pass costs USD 3 PP, with buses running every 15 min. The cruise port is located at a short walking distance from the town. Juneau International Airport is located approx 8 ml / 13 km northwest from downtown.
- On January 25, 2017, Port Juneau announced the begining of construction works for a new (fourth) cruise berth, located close to the Marine Park terminal. Its completion is scheduled for early April 2017. The USD 54 million project's works are by the Seattle-based company Manson Construction. The project was funded with state grants and revenue bonds backed by a surcharge levied by Juneau on cruise ship passengers.
- The new berth will be the port's biggest (pier length 1100 ft / 335 m), allowing docking of larger cruise vessels.
- When completed, the new "north berth" will look much the same as the Marine Park's "south berth" (length 1000 ft / 305 m) located near Mount Roberts Tram. Both berths are connected via a catwalk (accessible to stevedores only / waterfront manual laborers). Unlike the port's other 2 berths, the new cruise ship berths offer both water and sewage services.
Juneau tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Alaska State Museum (native and historical artifacts)
- Sealaska Heritage (Native nonprofit, authentic house and an exhibition, Native-made souvenirs)
- Mount Roberts Tramway (an aerial tram ascending 1745 ft / 532 m up to Mt Roberts; this attraction provides great panoramic views of Juneau City and the nearby located glaciers)
- Mendenhall Glacier (width 1,5 ml / 2,4 km, length over 12 ml / 19 km to Mendenhall Lake; Info Center, exhibitions, viewing platform)
The Juneau cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Juneau, Alaska.
If you lose the Juneau location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Juneau cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Juneau, Alaska. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
22 May, 2017
1 May, 2017
2 May, 2017
3 May, 2017
8 May, 2017
9 May, 2017
10 May, 2017
11 May, 2017
12 May, 2017
13 May, 2017
15 May, 2017
16 May, 2017
17 May, 2017
18 May, 2017
19 May, 2017
20 May, 2017
21 May, 2017
23 May, 2017
24 May, 2017
25 May, 2017
26 May, 2017
27 May, 2017
28 May, 2017
29 May, 2017
30 May, 2017
31 May, 2017
For the first time in 7 years, Alaska welcomed its 1,000,000th cruise ship visitor. Wendy Yoisten from Saint Albert, Alberta, Canada with her...September 24, 2016
NCL crew member has gone overboard on Thursday, September 8, from Norwegian Pearl during a voyage returning from Alaska. Norwegian Pearl is on...September 11, 2016
Carnival Cruise Line offers for the first time a 14-day Alaskan adventure cruise round-trip from Long Beach CA. Launching September 2017, the voyage...August 26, 2016
For the first time in 7 years, cruise industry is set to send over a million travelers to Alaska. The surge in passenger numbers for...August 11, 2016
A 79-year-old woman from Ontario got lost on a solo hike close to an Alaska glacier and had to spend a night in the forest with no camping gear but...August 6, 2016
Carnival Cruise Line opened reservations on its Hawaii and Alaska cruises 2018 onboard Carnival Legend. Legend’s 2018 Alaska program...July 24, 2016
Royal Caribbean has opened bookings for 2017 Alaska voyages with a free upgrade offer. Radiance of the Seas and Explorer of the Seas will sail 7...February 29, 2016
18 notices of violation have been issued by the state Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) since 2010, involving 48 cases of excessive air...August 15, 2015
The U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) has suspended a search for a reported overboard cruise ship crew member near Juneau. The Norwegian Sun crew member has...July 5, 2015
Last week, an installation of a new floating pier started at Icy Strait Point, a seasonal destination along Inside Passage in Alaska Native village...June 13, 2015
- show more news