Lemnos (aka Limnos) is an island of Greece located in the northern part of Aegean Sea. Myrina is the island's principal city as well as seat of the municipality.
- The isle has a total area of 477 mk2 (184 ml2), ranking it the Greece's 8th-largest island. Lemnos is well served by ferries from Athens (Piraeus), Laurium, Kavala, Thessaloniki.
- Lemnos Island is mostly flat and has over 30 sand beaches. The west, and especially island's northwest part, is mountainous and rough with the highest elevation being the 470-meter Mount Vigla. The chief towns include Myrina, located on the western coast, and Moudros, situated on the eastern shore of a wide bay in the middle of the isle.
- After the victory of the Red Army in the Russian Civil War, a lot of Kuban Cossacks fled their country in order to avoid Bolshevik persecution. A notable evacuation point was Lemnos Island where around 18,000 Kuban Cossacks landed. However, many later died of disease and starvation. Most left Lemnos after a year.
- Currently, the island of Lemnos has around 30 villages and settlements. Lemnos province includes Agios Efstratios island to the southwest which features some exceptional beaches as well as one of the two deserts in Europe.
- Lemnos serves as inspiration for the fictional island nation "Altis" in 2013 PC video game ArmA 3 created by Czech developers Bohemia Interactive. The layout of the isle's roads, settlements and landscape closely resembles that of its real counterpart and several of city's landmarks, like the theatre at Hephaistia, the fortress at Myrina, and the windmills close to Kontias, are recreated in the computer game.
- A big part of 2014 Australian TV Series 'ANZAC Girls' take place in Lemnos, revealing the story of Australian nurses during Gallipoli campaign.
Highlights: Town, Poliochni ruins, Myrina, sandy beaches
Lemnos Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Lemnos Island dock (anchor) at Myrina - port town on the western coast.
The Lemnos Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Lemnos Island, Greece.
If you lose the Lemnos Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.