Luanda, formerly named Sao Paulo da Assuncao de Loanda, is the capital and largest city in Angola. The city covers a total area of approx 113 km2 (44 ml2) and has a population of around 2,825,300 people (2014 census).
- Luanda is also the most populous and important city in Angola, primary port and major urban, industrial and cultural centre. Located on the coast of the country with the Atlantic, Luanda is both chief seaport and administrative centre of Angola.
- It is also the capital of Luanda Province, and the 3rd most populous Portuguese-speaking city in the world, behind only Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, both situated in Brazil, and the world's most populous Portuguese-speaking capital, ahead of Brasilia, Maputo and Lisbon.
- Portuguese explorer Paulo Dias de Novais (1510-1589) founded Luanda on January 25, 1576 as "Sao Paulo da Assumpcao de Loanda", with 100 families of settlers and 400 soldiers. In 1618, the Portuguese erected the fortress Fortaleza Sao Pedro da Barra, and subsequently built 2 more: Fortaleza de Sao Miguel (1634) and Forte de Sao Francisco do Penedo (1765-1766). Of these, Fortaleza de Sao Miguel is best preserved.
- Currently, the city is undergoing major reconstruction, with a lot of large developments taking place and expected to alter the cityscape significantly.
- Around 30% of Angolans live in Luanda, of whom 53% live in poverty. Living conditions in the city are poor for most of the locals, with essential services like electricity and safe drinking water still in short supply, as well as severe shortcomings in traffic. Luxury constructions for the benefit of Luanda's wealthy minority, however, are booming. Luanda is among the most expensive cities in the world for resident foreigners.
- Port of Luanda serves as the largest in Angola, and links the country with the rest of the world. Major expansion of the port is also taking place. A new port was developed at Dande in 2014, about 30 km (18,6 ml) to the north.
Highlights: Fortesses, Colonial Buildings
The Luanda cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Luanda, Angola.
If you lose the Luanda location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Luanda cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Luanda, Angola. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
10 April, 2018