Masira Island (also Masirah or Mazeira Island) is an island located off the East coast of mainland Oman. The island covers a total area of approx 649 km2 (251 ml2) and has a population of around 12,000 people in twelve villages mainly in the northern part of the island.
- Masira is the largest island of Oman, 95 km (59 ml) long north-south, between 12-14 km (7,5-9,3 ml) wide. Administratively, Masira Island forms one of the 11 provinces of Ash Sharqiyah Region. The largest settlement is Ras-Hilf, containing a Royal Air Force of Oman air base and fish factory.
- Previously, the BBC had its relay facility stationed there, which consisted of both HF & MF broadcasting transmitters.
- Main industries include traditional textile manufacturing and fishing. Traditional ship building was formerly important. Historically, Masira Island had copper ore mining.
- Most of the interior of Masira Island is deserted, with access only possible via a small ferry for cars or via Royal Air Force of Oman Airbus A320 and Lockheed C-130 Hercules flights.
- Masirah Island has recently opened for tourism. Travellers can still only get to it by ferry, managed by National Ferry Company, that runs 6 times per day between Shannah and Masirah. Rental cars are also available on Masira Island.
- By now, there is a 4-star-hotel and kitesurfing camp. For kitesurfers, the most attractive spot in summer is Masirah because of the monsoon winds blowing steadily at more than 20 knots.
- The rugged terrain of Masira Island and surrounding rough coastline led to the appearance of a lot of wrecked dhows on its beaches, most of which well preserved by the intense heat and salt water.
Masira Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Masira Island India dock (anchor) at Masirah - port town on the north-western coast.
The Masira Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Masira Island, Oman.
If you lose the Masira Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.