Montserrat (aka "The Emerald Isle") is one of the Caribbean's Leeward Islands (Lesser Antilles, British West Indies). The island is one of the British Overseas Territories (population around 5,000 and a total area of 102 km2 /39 ml2).
- The island measures approx 16 km (10 ml) in length and 11 km (7 ml) in width. Its coastline is around 40 km (25 ml).
- Since 1998, Montserrat's largest town and capital is Brades (population around 1,000). The old capital at Plymouth was abandoned after it was destroyed by the Soufriere Hills volcano eruption on June 25th, 1997.
- Little Bay is a newly developed port town (and a capital to be) located on the northwestern coast.
- Two of the names suggested for the new capital (currently constructed at Little Bay) are "Port Diana" and "St Patrick's".
- From 1979 until 1989, Montserrat Island was home to a branch of AIR Studios of George Martin, making it popular with musicians who went there to record while taking advantage of island's beautiful surroundings. However, the studio closed due to Hurricane Hugo.
- On July 18, 1995 previously dormant Soufriere Hills volcano, located in the southern part of Montserrat Island, became active. Eruptions destroyed the Georgian era capital city Plymouth. Between 1995-2000, two-thirds of the population of the island was forced to flee, mainly to the United Kingdom. Today the volcanic activity still continues, mostly affecting Plymouth's vicinity, including the docking facilities, as well as the eastern side around former W. H. Bramble Airport, which remnants were buried by volcanic activity's flows on February 11, 2010.
- An exclusion zone extending from the south coast of Montserrat Island north to parts of Belham Valley was imposed as a result of the size of existing volcanic dome and potential for pyroclastic activity. Tourists are generally not allowed entry into the exclusion zone. The impressive view of Plymouth's destruction can be seen from Garibaldi Hill's top in Isles Bay. The volcano continues to be monitored by Montserrat Volcano Observatory. It is the world's most studied volcano and Montserrat is called the 'Modern Day Pompeii' in the Caribbean. The island is also home to Montserrat Yachting Association. A well pad became ready in 2016 for drilling of 3rd geothermal well in Montserrat.
- The economy of Montserrat Island has been halted since the devastations of Hugo and the eruption of Soufriere Hills Volcano. Export businesses deal primarily in the shipping and selling of aggregate for construction. Virtually everything available for sale is included in imports.
- Montserrat Island is famous for its coral reefs and caves along the shore. The caves house many bats' species, and efforts are underway to protect 10 species from extinction.
Highlights: Plymouth, Volcanic Peaks
Montserrat Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Montserrat Island dock (anchor) at Little Bay - port town on the northwestern coast.
The Montserrat Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Montserrat Island, Little Bay.
If you lose the Montserrat Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Montserrat Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Montserrat Island, Little Bay. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
8 January, 2018
9 January, 2018
22 January, 2018
25 January, 2018