New Island is one of the Falkland Islands, located north of Beaver Island. It lies 238 km (148 ml) from Stanley and is 13 km (8,1 ml) long with average width of 0,75 km (0,47 ml) and total area 22,7 km2 (8,8 ml2). The highest elevation point is 226 m (741 ft).
- The eastern and northern coasts of New Island feature high cliffs but the eastern ones are lower lying, with sandy bays and rocky shores. There are a few smaller offshore isles in the group: Saddle Island and North Island have high cliffs but Cliff Knob Island and Ship Island are lower lying.
- Long used as a sheep farm, base for whaling and for irregular attempts to collect guano, the island is considered to be one of the most beautiful in Falklands archipelago, and having probably region's most diverse range of wildlife. New Island is a nature reserve, founded in 1972 by Ian Strange (born 1934, British writer, artist, ornithologist and conservationist). A settlement is located in the middle of island's east coast, some distance north of the airstrip.
- Since 1996 New Island has been owned and run by New Island Conservation Trust. The Trust acquired freehold of entire property in 2005. It is managed by the Board of Trustees under Chairmanship of Air Vice-Marshal David Crwys-Williams CB, former Commander of British Forces, Falkland Islands, during the 1980s. The Geoffrey C Hughes Charitable Trust was the major benefactor to the Trust. It not only made this purchase possible, but funded the Field Centre used as the base for wildlife researchers from different countries. The Trust relies on donations to continue its research and conservation work.
- There are no trees on New Island. It is largely vegetated with grasses, though shrubs have been introduced. Currently, wildlife includes South American sea lions, southern elephant seals and fur seals. There aren't any native land mammals since now extinct Falkland Islands wolf (warrah) was exterminated there, despite the fact that the island has a population of introduced cottontail rabbits.
- New Island group has been identified as an Important Bird Area (IBA) by by BirdLife International.
Highlights: Penguins, cormorants, albatross, seals
New Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to New Island dock (anchor) at the settlement's port (on the isle's central-eastern coast, and north of the airstrip).
Port New Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from New Island, Falkland Islands. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ship||Arrival||Departure||Next Port of Call|
|14 November, 2018|
|Silver Cloud||West Point Island, Falkland Islands|
|23 November, 2018|
|25 November, 2018|
|MS Roald Amundsen||Punta Arenas, Chile Antarctica|
The New Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near New Island, Falkland Islands.
If you lose the New Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.