Nightingale Island is an active volcanic island located in the South Atlantic Ocean. The island covers a total area of approx 3,2 km2 (1,2 ml2).
- The isle is one of the British Overseas Territories - the dependency of "Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha". Saint Helena is UK's 2nd-oldest dependency (overseas territory) after Bermuda.
- In the group of Nightingale Islands are also the islets Middle Island and Stoltenhoff Island. All the three are uninhabited, but regularly visited for scientific research.
- On its northern end Nightingale features two peaks. The one of them is 337 m (1,106 ft) high while the other is 293 m (961 ft). The rest of the island of Nightingale is ringed by cliffs. However, the cliffs are not nearly as high as the ones surrounding neighbouring Inaccessible Island, located approx 16 km (10 ml) away and features cliffs approx 300 m (984 ft) high. This way, human access is easier on Nightingale than on its neighbour Inaccessible.
- The isle is a volcano, which is composed of both early and late stage ash deposits. Trachytic lava flows have been forced out in the past. The last eruption may have been more than 39,000 years ago.
- The couple of nearby islets are named Stoltenhoff (99 m/325 ft) and Middle (46 m/151 ft). The island is surrounded by large amounts of kelp, which makes it hard to anchor ships when the weather is bad.
- Gough and Inaccessible Islands are strict nature reserves and no tourism is permitted. However, visitors are allowed to go to Nightingale. Lots of tourists to Tristan da Cunha do to Nightingale for its wildlife. Non-Tristanians usually travel to Nightingale with a guide from Tristan and part of the money they pay goes for the conservation work done on the island.
- Once per year, journalists and filmmakers are permitted to work on Nightingale Island for a fee, but are not allowed to interfere with islanders' private lives.
Highlights: Shearwaters, Tristan buntings, penguins, yellow billed albatross
The Nightingale Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Nightingale Island, UK.
If you lose the Nightingale Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Nightingale Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Nightingale Island, UK. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
1 February, 2018