Noumea is a port city located on Grande Terre Island, New Caledonia's main (largest) island. Noumea is also the country's capital and among the most westernized Pacific Ocean island cities. The city covers a total area of approx 45,7 km2 (17,6 ml2) and has a population of around 100,240 inhabitants (2015 census).
- Noumea port's cruising season is between mid May and mid December. The island was discovered by Captain Cook in 1774. He gave the name New Caledonia because the place reminded Captain Cook the Scottish Highlands.
- Although Noumea boasts more sunshine days than other Pacific Island capitals, as well as beaches not far from the city centre, currently it is not a major tourist destination. There is too high cost of living and air travel is not discounted to the extent as to other Pacific Rim destinations.
- As of 2007, Noumea is among the most rapidly growing Pacific cities and has experienced a housing construction boom during the preceding decade. Amenities' installation has kept pace and the municipality has a public works programme.
- The international airline of New Caledonia, Aircalin, and the domestic airline, Aircal (Air Caledonie), have their headquarters in the port city. Aircal's headquarters are situated on the grounds of Noumea Magenta Airport, serving local routes. La Tontouta International Airport is Noumea's international airport, 50 km (31 ml) from the city.
- New Caledonia was the preferred liberty port in the Pacific of the crew of PT-73 in the American TV series McHale's Navy.
- In 2014 Sydney-based author Nathan J. Roche set his satirical prose account of cycling, the novel The Noumea Neurosis, in and around Noumea.
Highlights: Cafes, Aquarium, Tjibaou Cultural Centre
Noumea cruise terminal
Noumea Cruise Port Terminal is located at the city center. The ships berth at Port Moselle Marina. The Noumea Cruise Port Terminal building is surrounded of an outdoor native market. The facilities of the terminal are located at the second floor of the building. If you need a taxi you will have to order by phone, there are no directly available.
The tourists are welcomed with local songs right after their disembarkation at the city center.
The Noumea Cruise Port Terminal is very tourist-friendly. There is an info center with maps for free, tour operators will offer you trips and excursions and you can buy post cards right at the terminal. At the Noumea Cruise Port Terminal you will find handcraft market and a cafeteria. In front there is a parking.
The Noumea Cruise Port Terminal can’t take two cruise ships simultaneously. In this situations one berths at the container terminal. The passengers are transported to the Noumea Cruise Port Terminal by free buses.
The city heart, place des Cocotiers (Coconut Square) is just five minutes walking from the cruise terminal.
Noumea tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
It is easy to explore Noumea walking. You will find pretty, small city with plenty charming cafes and bistros with local dining opportunities. You will feel the French provincial atmosphere. Noumea is amazing during the winter months (especially from November through January) when the Poincianas (also called flame trees) become all red colored.
You can explore variety of ocean life – over 1500 fish species and more than 350 coral species.
Among the interesting places for visit and things to do are:
- Le Petit Train: Anse Vata trip to the center by miniature train
- New Caledonia National Aquarium: explore the ocean life, Route de L’Aquarium
- Tjibaou Cultural Centre: original design, enjoy dance, music and theatre performances
- Museums: the Geological Museum, the City of Noumea Museum, the Museum of New Caledonia and Museum of Maritime History.
- Place des Cocotiers: flame trees garden with cafes and stores.
- Anse Vata: tourist center, a place for water activities like sailing, swimming, kayaking and windsurfing.
- Mount Ouen Toro: explore Noumea views from the 128-meter tall Ouen Toro.
- Island Excursions: most popular destinations are Isle of Pines and Ilot Amédée.
- Pierre Vernier Walk: take a leisurely walk surrounded by coconut trees along St Marie Bay.
- Blue River Provincial Park: located on 9,000 hectare in the Southern Province. Blue River Provincial Park is great wildlife reserve with area for camping, picnics, walking and river swimming.
Port Noumea cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Noumea, Grande Terre island, New Caledonia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
The Noumea cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Noumea, Grande Terre island, New Caledonia.
If you lose the Noumea location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.