Nuku Hiva Island (aka Nukahiva) is the biggest of the Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia (overseas territory of France in the Pacific). Nuku Hiva (formerly named "Ile Marchand" and "Madison Island") has population around 3,000 and covers a total area of 339 km2 (131 ml2).
Administratively, Nuku Hiva is part of the municipality (commune) of Nuku-Hiva, itself in administrative subdivision of Marquesas Islands. Administrative centre of Nuku-Hiva commune and also of the administrative subdivision of Marquesas Islands is Taioha'e, a settlement located on Nuku Hiva's south side, at the head of a bay of the same name.
- The central part of Nuku Hiva Island is a high plateau named To'ovi'i, covered by a tall-grass prairie. Cattle raising experiments are taking place on it for the first time. Fifteen years ago the cattle here were feral and had to be hunted with rifles. The island's highest peak, Tekao (1224 m /4,016 ft) rises on the western edge of To'ovi'i. The northern and western edges of Toovii are a mountain ridge, catching much of the rain which waters Nuku Hiva Island.
- 'Typee', a book by Herman Melville, is based on his experiences in Taipivai valley in Nuku Hiva's eastern part. The first landfall of Robert Louis Stevenson on his voyage on Casco was at Hatiheu, on the north side of the island, in 1888.
- In 2001, Nuku Hiva Island was used as the filming location for the 4th season of 'Survivor', American reality competition series, airing in the U.S. in 2002.
- Ben Fogle, British explorer and presenter, in 2015 filmed an episode of 'Ben Fogle: New Lives in the Wild' with a nomadic couple residing on a boat, moored off Nuku Hiva Island at the time of his visit.
- In his science fiction novel written in 1863, 'Paris in the Twentieth Century', Jules Verne describes Nuku Hiva Island as one of the world's main stock exchanges of 1960.
- Nuku Hiva Island is among the 14-day Papeete roundtrip itinerary ports of call of the famous cargo cruise ship Aranui 5 (launched in 2015).
Highlights: Marquesas Islands, Hatiheu Bay, Tiaohae, Ahuii waterfall, Taipivai Valley, Anaho Bay
Nuku Hiva Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Nuku Hiva Island dock (anchor) at Taiohae - port town on the southern coast.
The Nuku Hiva Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Nuku Hiva Island, French Polynesia.
If you lose the Nuku Hiva Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Nuku Hiva Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Nuku Hiva Island, French Polynesia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
20 October, 2017
22 October, 2017