Ocho Rios (meaning "Eight Rivers" in Spanish) is a port town located in Saint Ann parish on the north coast of Jamaica.
Outside the city, residents and tourists can visit Columbus Park, the site where Columbus supposedly came on land, and see Spanish colonial buildings and maritime artifacts. Once a fishing village, today Ocho Rios caters to tourists. The town is a port of call for cruise vessels, as well as for cargo ships that load sugar and limestone.
The name of Ocho Rios is a misnomer as there are not eight rivers in the region. It is most likely a British corruption of the original "Las Chorreras" ("the waterfalls") Spanish name, given to Ocho Rios due to nearby Dunn's River Falls.
Ocho Rios has restaurants, nightclubs located in Margaritaville, as well as Dolphin Cove, where cruisers swim and interact with dolphins. Perhaps, it is most notable for the use in Dr.No, the first James Bond film, released in 1962. It was home of Miss Taro (Zena Marshall), an adversary of Bond (Sean Connery), in alliance with the villain Dr.Julius No (Joseph Wiseman).
Ocho Rios also appears as primary location for the movie "Piranha II: The Spawning", with many of the scenes being shot at Mallards Beach-Hyatt (Sunset Jamaica Grande). In 2016, Rio Chico resort (outside the city) was featured on ABC's reality TV show "The Bachelor" 20th season.
In May 2017, Jamaica's government approved an USD 30,9 million project to build new and renovate existing tourism-serving facilities in Ocho Rios.
- Among the expenditures are USD 19,3 million for upgrading the Reynolds Pier allowing the facility to handle larger cruise vessels. Reynolds Pier will complement Ocho Rios Pier, for which improvements (the adjacent promenade) were allocated USD 2,1 million.
- USD 0,772 million will be spent for the town's market renovations.
- USD 0,618 will be spent for building a new artisan village facilitating craft-making and retail shops (selling locally-manufactured products).
Highlights: Resort, Dunns River Falls, Shaw Park Gardens
Ocho Rios cruise terminal
Next photo shows the T-shaped pier and the Ocho Rios (Jamaica) cruise terminal as looked from a docked ship.
Ocho Rios tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
Next are listed the most popular Carnival Cruise Lines tours in Ocho Rios, with USD prices per adult:
- Bamboo Beach Club all-inclusive ($50)
- horseback riding ($100)
- Jamaica Bobsled ($60)
- jungle tours ($100)
- buggy ($100)
- Zipline tour ($100)
- Dunn's River Falls tours (from $110)
- Coyaba botanical Gardens ($55)
- jeep safaris ($100)
- snorkeling ($70)
- mini-boats, ocean kayaks, ATVs ($100)
- shopping tours ($45)
- Paradise Beach Club ($55)
- rafting ($55)
- Rainforest Explorer (chairlift $40)
- best golfing at Upton, Runaway Bay, Cinnamon Hill, and Sandals golf clubs (from $175)
- combo-tours from $120
Port Ocho Rios cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Ocho Rios, Jamaica. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|4 June, 2018|
|6 June, 2018|
|12 June, 2018|
|13 June, 2018|
|18 June, 2018|
|20 June, 2018|
|26 June, 2018|
|27 June, 2018|
The Ocho Rios cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Ocho Rios, Jamaica.
If you lose the Ocho Rios location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.