Ostend (Oostende) is a Belgian municipality and port city, located in West-Flanders province. The city covers a total area of approx 37,72 km2 (14,56 ml2) and has population of around 70,600 people (2016 census).
- Ostend comprises the boroughs of Raversijde, Stene, Zandvoorde and Mariakerke, and the city of Ostend proper – the biggest on the Belgian coast.
- In earlier times, the city of Ostend was just a small village established on the east-end of an island (called Testerep) between a beach lake and the North Sea. The tiny village rose to the "town" status around 1265 when its inhabitants were permitted to hold a market and build a market hall. Their major source of income was fishing. The coastline of the North Sea has always been unstable and in 1395 Ostend's inhabitants decided to create a new Ostend behind huge dikes and further away from the threatening sea.
- The city of Oostende is famous for its sea-side esplanade, including fine-sand beaches, pier and Royal Galleries of Ostend. Ostend is visited by plenty of day-trippers heading to the beaches, especially during the summer months. Most tourists from inland Belgium and foreigners arrive by train and head for the closest beach area, Klein Strand, next to the pier. The locals and other Belgium residents usually occupy the bigger beach (het Groot Strand). Oostende used to be visited predominately by the British, French, Dutch and Germans, but is today mainly frequented by Dutch and Belgians.
- Close to the beach is a well-preserved section of fortified Atlantic Wall, open to the public as the Atlantic Wall Open Air Museum in Raversijde. During summer evenings visitors can walk through the tiny streets around Het Vissersplein. At certain times there are local markets in neighbourhood streets. In the summer Vissersplein features music festivals. Vissersplein is a car free zone with lots of brasseries where patrons sit outside and have a drink. Towards port side there are little fish outlets, and beyond that ferries can be observed docking.
- Ostend city has been used as film location by many directors. Parts of the movies Place Vendome featuring Catherine Deneuve; Armaguedon with Alain Delon; Camping Cosmos with Lolo Ferrari; Daughters of Darkness (Delphine Seyrig as Countess Bathory); Ex Drummer based on a novel by Herman Brusselmans were shot in Ostend. The comic about a dreadful invasion of rats, Le Bal du rat mort, is set in Ostend.
Highlights: Seaside resort town, Europa Tower, Bruges, Ghent
The Ostend cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Ostend, Belgium.
If you lose the Ostend location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Ostend cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Ostend, Belgium. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
24 August, 2017