Pilsen (Plzeň) is a river port city located in western Bohemia, Czech Republic. The city covers a total area of approx 137,65 km2 (53,15 ml2) and has population of around 169,000 people (2015 census).
- Pilsen is situated about 90 km (56 ml) west of Prague. It is also the 4th most populous city in the Czech Republic, famous worldwide for Pilsner beer, created in 1842 by Bavarian brewer Josef Groll (1813-1887).
- The most prominent sights of Pilsen are the Gothic St.Bartholomew's Cathedral, established in the late 13th century (its tower, at 102 m/335 ft is the highest in the country), the Renaissance Town Hall, the Moorish Revival Great Synagogue (the 2nd largest synagogue in Europe, after Dohany Street Synagogue in Budapest).
- Pilsen also boasts a 20 km (12 ml) historic underground tunnel, which is one of the longest in Central Europe. Part of this cellar network is open to the public for tours of 750 m (2,500 ft) in length and down to a 12 m (39 ft) depth.
- The former water tower, built in 1532, was integrated into the fortification system of the city at Prague Gate. In 1822 another storey was added in French Imperial style. In 1912 was added the Gothic portal, which dates from the 1500s, coming from another house that was demolished. A commemorative plaque is found above the portal, dedicated to Dr.Josef Skoda (1805-1881, professor at Vienna University), born next door.
- Pilsen is well known for Pilsner Urquell (1842) and Gambrinus (1869) breweries, today owned by South African Breweries. The Plzeňský Prazdroj brewery tour is a popular tourist attraction where travellers can discover the history of beer. In the 19th century the pilsener style of beer was created in Pilsen.
- In 2015 Pilsen was a European Capital Of Culture, along with Mons, Belgium.
The Pilsen cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Pilsen, Czech Republic.
If you lose the Pilsen location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.