Port Hedland (aka Marapikurrinya) is a port town located in Western Australia. The town has a population of around 15,190 people, including the satellite town South Hedland, which is 18 km (11 ml) away.
- Port Hedland is the 2nd largest town in Pilbara region. It is also the site of Australia's highest tonnage port.
- Port Hedland features a natural deep anchorage harbour. It, as well as being region's major container and fuel receival point, was seen as best for shipment of iron ore being mined inland from the town. The iron ore is moved via railway from 4 major deposits to the south and east of Port Hedland area. The port exported 13,6 mill tonnes of iron ore in August 2010. A new monthly record of 39,6 million tons was set in March 2016.
- Other major resource activities include offshore natural gas fields, manganese, livestock and salt. Grazing of sheep and cattle was formerly an important revenue earner for the area but has slowly declined.
- Hedland was formerly a terminus for WAGR Marble Bar Railway servicing Marble Bar's gold mining area. Situated between South Hedland and Port Hedland are Dampier Salt large salt hills. These huge mounds have almost become an attraction for tourists.
- The harbour of Port Hedland is managed by the state government instrumentality Pilbara Ports Authority. The headquarters of the Port Authority, heliport and control tower are at Mangrove Point, located to the west of Esplanade at Port Hedland's western end. The tugboat pen, public jetty and customs office are at Laurentius Point, situated nearby.
- The wharves of the harbour are located on both its sides – Port Hedland to the east and Finucane Island to the west. Access by oceangoing ships into/out of the harbour is through a narrow curved channel.
The Port Hedland cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Port Hedland, Western Australia.
If you lose the Port Hedland location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.