Portland ME features historical and architectural attractions, and is also a major commercial, shipping and fishing centre. The port is a gateway to the resort islands in Casco Bay. There's a historic trail and lighthouse in the town. The nearby Kennebunkport is also worth visiting. Its art colony and Seashore Trolley Museum display more than 200 authentic streetcars.
Established in 1632, the town was destroyed in 1676 by Indians, and again in 1690 by Indians and the French. The settlement (then part of Falmouth) was damaged by the British in 1775. In 1786, after being separated from Falmouth, it was named after Portland England.
- In 2015, the visiting around 55,000 cruise tourists had an economic impact of USD 5,8 million.
- In 2016, the cruise port handled 70 ship calls. In August 2016, the port had its ever largest cruise ship docked - RCI's Anthem of the Seas, bringing to the city 4974 passengers and 1480 crew. Cruising season 2016's economic impact was USD 11 million.
- In 2017, the port reported a record year as the number of visiting cruise passengers for the first time ever exceeded 100,000. Port's statistics showed a 6% increase in passenger volumes and a 10% increase in crew numbers over 2016.
- In 2018, the port expects an increase of 17% in cruise shipping activities.
- On March 16, 2018, was announced a plan to fund the USD 2 million ferry terminal's upgrade project. The Ocean Gateway terminal serves all ferries connecting Maine USA with Nova Scotia (NS Canada). The primary funding party will be the Canadian company Bay Ferries Ltd (headquartered in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island), which together with the NS government would pay for most of the upgrades. The decision was made after the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agency threatened to close the terminal's customs service as it didn't meet USA's federal standards. Bay Ferries is a subsidiary of Northumberland Ferries Ltd (parent NFL Holdings Ltd) and is subsidized by the NS taxpayers.
Highlights: Historic trail, lighthouse, Kennebunkport
Portland Maine cruise terminal
Cruise ships in Portland ME dock at Portland Ocean Terminal.
The city is linked by ferries with Nova Scotia. In November 2017, the ferry service from Ocean Gateway terminal was terminated after US Customs required a terminal renovation (around USD 7 million in upgrades) in order the passenger facility to meet federal standards. The ferry service Maine - Nova Scotia will start again only if Portland provides USD 2 million for the project.
Port Portland Maine cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Portland Maine, USA. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ship||Arrival||Departure||Next Port of Call|
|25 April, 2018|
|Artania||07:00||14:00||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|29 April, 2018|
|MS Fram||New York, Cape Liberty NYC|
|29 April, 2018|
|Oceania Marina||08:00||22:00||Bar Harbor, Maine|
The Portland Maine cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Portland Maine, USA.
If you lose the Portland Maine location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Officials figured out a way to fund US$2 million in upgrades to the terminal which houses ferry service between Maine and Nova Scotia. Bay Ferries...March 18, 2018
Maine is on track to boast a record cruise ship season this year. The state is expecting a total of 423 vessels with more than 380,000...September 10, 2017
Maine wishes to shift its approach to cruise ship industry in order to generate more economic benefit, rather than just promote the state as a...August 22, 2017
Maine emergency services have responded to what was reported as "mass casualty event" aboard a Celebrity Cruises ship, only to find 4 people...July 4, 2017
- show more news