Portland is a river port and largest city in Oregon USA, as well as the seat of Multnomah County. It covers a total area of approx 376 km2 (145 ml2) and has population around 630,000 (metro 2,4 million), ranking it the USA's 26th most populous city and 23th most populous metro area.
- Portland OR is in the Willamette Valley region (Pacific Northwest USA), located at the confluence of Columbia and Willamette rivers. Roughly 60% of the Oregon state's population resides within the Portland metro area.
- The settlement was named after Portland ME, and began to be populated during the 1830s close to the end of Oregon Trail. The water access offered convenient transportation of goods. Timber industry was an important force in the early economy of the city. At the turn of 20th century, the city of Portland had a reputation as one of the world's most dangerous port cities, a hub for racketeering and organized crime.
- After the economy of the city experienced an industrial boom during WWII, its hard-edged reputation started to dissipate. Beginning in the 1960s, it became noted for growing liberal political values. Portland earned a reputation as the bastion of counterculture, that proceeded into 21st century.
- Portland is set against the backdrop of magnificent Mount Hood, and lies south of Washington state line on Willamette River, close to its junction with Columbia River, 100 miles by river east of the Pacific. It is a deepwater port that is capable of taking oceangoing vessels and yet it's also a city of natural splendour not far from ocean, desert and mountains.
- Outside the city, places to visit include the 259-metre (850-foot) Multnomah Falls in Columbia River Gorge, Bonneville Dam and Mt.Hood National Forest. Mount Saint Helens, Mount Rainier and Mount Adams in WA can also be visited from Portland.
- Famous as the City of Roses, Portland has some splendid public gardens. In June there is a Rose Festival with boat and car races, visiting navy ships and grand parade. The city is filled with late-19th-century and contemporary architecture as well as museums and mansions to visit. Many 1860s brick buildings featuring cast-iron columns and 1890s ornate terra-cotta designs have been preserved in areas, such as Yamhill, Skidmore Old Town, and Glazed Terra-Cotta national historic districts. There is also the Chinatown Gate, for the more exotic, recognizable by its 5 roofs, 64 dragons, and 2 huge lions, official entrance to Chinatown District.
Highlights: City of Roses, Multnomah Falls, Mt. Hood National Forest
The Portland Oregon cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Portland Oregon, USA.
If you lose the Portland Oregon location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.