Pulau Biak Island is a small island in Cenderawasih Bay located close to the northern coast of the Indonesian province of Papua, and northwest of New Guinea. The island has a population of around 112,870 people (2010 census).
- Pulau Biak Island is the largest in its small archipelago, and features many reefs, corals and atolls.
- Biak is part of Kepulauan Biak (Biak Islands). Its largest population centre is situated at Biak City (Kota Biak) on the southern coast. The rest of Pulau Biak Island is thinly populated with tiny villages.
- The rain forest-covered Pulau Biak Island has been designated Biak-Numfoor rain forest, especially as it has the largest number of endemic bird species of any area in New Guinea region. There are also a wealth of amphibian and reptile species found here.
- The numerous types of flora in the rain forest of Pulau Biak Island includea variety of trees and commercially important species as well as the mangrove swamps' lush vegetation.
- An interesting fact is that the Biak Numfor have their unique friendship dance named "Yosim Pancar". It consists of small to mid-size dance groups which could dance all-night long.
- Pulau Biak Island is serviced by Frans Kaisiepo Airport, featuring flights from all over Indonesia. There are plans for space satellite launch services at the new Biak Spaceport. The equatorial location provides particularly efficient launches to near-equatorial and equatorial orbits. Facing eastward towards the Pacific reduces downrange risks of launch.
Pulau Biak Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Pulau Biak Island dock (anchor) at Kota Biak - port city on the southern coast.
The Pulau Biak Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Pulau Biak Island, Kota Biak, Indonesia.
If you lose the Pulau Biak Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.