Raja Ampat Islands (the Four Kings), is an archipelago located off the northwest tip of Bird's Head Peninsula on New Guinea island, in Indonesia's West Papua province. It covers a total area of approx 40,000 km2 (15,000 ml2; land area 8,034 km2/3,102 ml2) and has a population of around 49,050 people (2014 census).
- Raja Ampat Islands comprise more than 1,500 small islands, shoals and cays, surrounding the 4 main islands of Batanta, Misool, Salawati and Waigeo, and the smaller Kofiau Island. Raja Ampat archipelago is part of Coral Triangle containing the earth's richest marine biodiversity.
- Raja Ampat Regency is a regency that separated from Sorong in 2004. Its land and sea area also contains Indonesia's largest marine national park, Cenderawasih Bay. It's part of the newly named province of West Papua (formerly Irian Jaya). Some of the islands are Australia's most northern pieces of land.
- Raja Ampat is reckoned the global epicenter of tropical marine bio-diversity. It is referred to as "The Crown Jewel" of Bird's Head Seascape, also including Triton Bay and Cenderawasih Bay.
- "Edies Paradies 3", a documentary film by Otto C. Honegger, was broadcast by the largest Switzerland TV broadcaster, Schweizer Fernsehen. It tells about the natural underwater beauty of Raja Ampat which is likened to the only inhabited area of the region of about 50,000 residents and is considered like "Amazon" due to the underwater world found in the heart of the Coral Triangle of the world.
- In March 2017 the Noble Caledonia cruise ship Caledonian Sky got caught in low tide and ran aground in Raja Ampat's reef. An evaluation team estimated that 1,600 m2 of the reef was destroyed, and it would likely result in compensation claim of US$1,28M-$1,92M. A team of academics and environmentalists estimated much more substantial damage, and potential losses to Indonesia at US$18.6 million. The recovery time for the reef would span decades.
Highlights: Coral paradise, Waigeo, Batanta, Salawati and Misool
Raja Ampat Islands cruise terminal
Accessing the islands is not difficult, but takes some time. It takes 6 hours flight from Jakarta to Sorong. Then, taking a boat is necessary in order to reach the islands.
The Raja Ampat Islands cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Raja Ampat Islands, Indonesia.
If you lose the Raja Ampat Islands location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Raja Ampat Islands cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Raja Ampat Islands, Indonesia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
5 July, 2018