Resolution Island is among the many uninhabited Canadian Arctic islands located in Qikiqtaaluk Region, Nunavut. It's a Baffin Island offshore isle situated in Hudson Strait. The island covers a total area of approx 1,015 km2 (392 ml2).
- Lower Savage Islands are located between Baffin Island and Resolution Island, while Graves Strait divides Resolution Island from the more northern island of Edgell.
- English explorer Martin Frobisher (1535-1594) landed on Resolution Island on July 28, 1576 during a voyage to discover the Northwest Passage. However, it has been named Resolution by Sir Thomas Button (died 1634) in 1612, after his own vessel, the Resolution.
- Resolution Island was home to American military base, currently CFS Resolution Island, which became operational in 1954 as part of DEW (Distant Early Warning) line. In 1973 the base was vacated and turned over to the government of Canada in 1974.
- The Canadian cargo vessel "MINNA" was wrecked on the island's east side, on August 18, 1974. The ship was then under charter by Bedford Institute of Oceanography. At the time of the accident it was doing scientific surveys. Badly damaged, the scientific equipment and the crew were removed. Bad weather swept "MINNA" in deeper waters where it sank on October 2. "MINNA" was built in 1962. Its crew consisted of 21 men and 18 scientists.
- During site investigations between 1987-1990 contamination was first discovered at the site. The contamination originated from spills from radar equipment, that used PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls) as insulators. Other pollutants included transformer fluids, asbestos, heavy metals and hydrocarbons, and sprinkled throughout. Resolution Island was identified as having the highest PCB contamination level of all former military sites falling under INAC (Indian and Northern Affairs Canada) responsibility in the North.
- In 1993-1994 environmental site assessment of the region was completed. Temporary barriers were put across drainage paths as a result, in order to stop migration of PCBs into water. In 1997, following further investigations, Indian and Northern Affairs Canada initiated remediation work with QC (Qikiqtaaluk Corporation). Large-scale remediation plan was created, in cooperation with QC, Environment Canada, and Queen’s University. Measures were taken to ensure that contaminants weren't posing risks to wildlife and humans.
Highlights: Polar bears
Resolution Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Resolution Island dock (anchor) at xxx.
The Resolution Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Resolution Island, Nunavut, Arctic Canada.
If you lose the Resolution Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Resolution Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Resolution Island, Nunavut, Arctic Canada. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
8 September, 2017