Isla Roatan cruise port is located in the Caribbean, around 65 km (40 ml) off the northern coast of Honduras. The island is the most popular among all Bay Islands, with a length of 33 ml (53 km) and width of 4 ml (6,5 km). Roatan covers a total area of approx 83 km2 (32 ml2) and has a population of around 44,660 inhabitants (2015 census).
- Located close to the largest barrier reef in the Caribbean (2nd largest worldwide), Mesoamerican Barrier Reef, Roatan has become a major cruise ship, eco-tourism and scuba diving destination in Honduras. Tourism is the most important economic sector. Fshing is another important source of income for islanders.
- Roatan Island is served by Juan Manuel Galvez Roatan International Airport, as well as by Galaxy Wave Ferry twice a day.
- Roatan Island is popular as the “jewel of Honduras” due to its beaches with crystal water (West End beaches and the public beach Camp Bay), all-year sunny weather and clear blue skies. The region was discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1502. It used to be home of the Paya Indians.
- Roatan Island is also famous for the fact that it was home to more than 5,000 pirates. The most popular of them are Captain John Coxen and Henry Morgan.
- The Roatan Marine Park is a community-based, non-profit organization located on Isla Roatan. The organization was established in January 2005 by a group of local businesses and concerned dive operators who united in an effort to protect the fragile coral reefs of the island.
- Roatan Institute for Marine Sciences was founded in 1989 with primary objective being the preservation of the natural resources of Roatan through research and education. RIMS is situated in Sandy Bay (Anthony's key), with more than 30 miles of barrier reefs, mangroves and seagrass beds.
- All reef systems throughout Bay Islands are protected by the central and local government via help from charitable donations.
Highlights: Snorkelling, beaches, Mahogany Bay
Roatan Island cruise terminal
Roatan port has 2 cruise terminals – Mahogany Bay and Coxen Hole.
Coxen Hole cruise terminal
It serves Princess Cruise Lines, Norwegian Cruise Lines and Royal Caribbean. Coxen hole is the capital of Bay Islands and their largest city. The port is name after John Coxen, a famous pirate. The first Roatan cruise port offers ATM, Internet, restaurants and not so big shopping mall. It is located west from the airport. The town of Coxen Hole offers authentic local souvenirs and cuisine.
Mahogany Bay cruise terminal
Mahogany Bay is a Carnival Corporation project. It serves ships from the fleets of Carnival Cruise Line and Princess Cruises. The terminal is located east of the Roatan Airport, in a area formerly known as Dixon Bay. This is the new Roatan cruise ship terminal inaugurated in 2009. It spreads over 20 acres (0,03 ml2 / 0,08 km2). The project's cost (including the terminal building) was USD 62 million. The Mahogany Bay cruise port terminal can accommodate 2 vessels (post-Panamax sized) at a time. The passengers’ area is for 8,000 people.
Special attraction at the Mahogany Bay terminal is the chair lift system. It transports passengers from the terminal building directly to the Mahogany Beach. The lift's all-day pass costs USD 12.
Just off the cruise ship pier, there is a shopping mall with ATM, rent-a-car offices, kiosks providing information for Roatan Island tours (shore excursions), restaurants, souvenirs, jewelry shops and live musical performances.
Roatan Island tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Roatan Marine Park: located between Sandy Bay and West Bay. The area is popular with amazing beaches and opportunities for water sports.
- Beaches: the most popular are Half Moon Bay, West Bay and West End.
- Coxen Hole: the capital offers duty free shops for tourists.
- Gumbalimba Park: animal preserve with creatures like iguanas, parrots, turkeys and monkeys.
- Carambola Botanical Gardens and Trails: located on Roatan’s north side, spreads over 40-acre area.
- Roatan Dolphin Encounters: you have the opportunity to see, swim, dive or snorkel with dolphins. Located at Anthony’s Key Resort in the Roatan Institute of Marine Science.
The Roatan Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Roatan Island, Mahogany Bay-Coxen Hole, Honduras.
If you lose the Roatan Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Roatan Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Roatan Island, Mahogany Bay-Coxen Hole, Honduras. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
2 January, 2018
3 January, 2018
4 January, 2018
5 January, 2018
6 January, 2018
7 January, 2018
8 January, 2018
9 January, 2018
10 January, 2018
11 January, 2018
12 January, 2018
13 January, 2018
16 January, 2018
17 January, 2018
18 January, 2018
19 January, 2018
20 January, 2018
23 January, 2018
24 January, 2018
25 January, 2018
26 January, 2018
27 January, 2018
28 January, 2018
30 January, 2018
31 January, 2018