San Juan cruise port is located on the north coast of Ruerto Rico. It is the largest city and the capital of the island. San Juan is the second-oldest, after Santo Domingo, capital that the Europeans established in the Caribbean. Originally the island was named San Juan and the port – Ciudad de Puerto Rico. They swapped over time.
San Juan cruise port is a major port of Puerto Rico and there are wide choices of voyages from the ship schedule. Popular cruises are to the Windward Isles (St Lucia, Dominica, St Vincent, Barbados, Tobago and Grenada), the Leeward Isles (St Maarten,Guadeloupe and St Kitts), the Netherland Antilles (Curacao, Bonaire and Aruba).
In early April 2017 was announced the (RCCL) Royal Caribbean's prtnership with San Juan's Ports Authority for improving the port's cruise pier "Pan American Wharf 2". The decision followed RCCL's announcements about homeporting Freedom of the Seas in port San Juan (starting May 2018). To needed development investments will optimize the port's cruise docking infrastructure. The works will include boarding bridge improvements, safety checkpoints improvements, restrooms improvements, mooring improvements, new passenger registration desks, building improvements, enlarging the terminal's the baggage inspection area, also dredging in the pier's ship docking area.
During season 2015-2016, RCCL cruise ships alone brought to Port San Juan 574,140 passengers. During season 2017-2018, this number reached 700,000.
All tour operators in San Juan provide guides trained through "Aquila's Center for Cruise Excellence". This is a staff training program that helps cruise port destinations and local tour operators to achieve highest standards of service.
San Juan cruise port's popularity is increasingly rising. The port was visited by 6,8 million cruise passengers in 2008-2009, 7,9 million (2014-2015 and 1,5 million (2015-2016).
Highlights: El Morro Castle, Rainforest
San Juan cruise terminal
San Juan cruise port terminal has three piers – Old San Juan piers (Pier 1, 3, 4, 6), Navy Frontier Pier and the Pan American Pier (wharf 2).
Old San Juan Piers
They are located at Marina Street, the center of Old San Juan. All the major sightseeing places are withing easy walking distance.
- Pier 1 has a modern terminal building with facilities like shops, baggage gangways, parking and elevators.
- Pier 3 mainly serves Royal Caribbean line and transit cruise vessels.
- Pier 4 is located at the north shore. Carnival Cruise Lines manages the terminal.
- Pier 6 is a marginal one. Its in 1,196 ft long.
In 2014, Pier 3 was expanded to allow berthing of the world's largest cruise vessels (RCI's Oasis-class).
In 2016, on Pier 3 started the construction works for a new, 2-story terminal building housing restaurants, galleries, entertainment venues and a large duty-free shopping complex. The USD 8 million project was an investment by Duty Free Americas (travel retail stores chain with over 180 shops). The port additionally invested USD 1 million for security equipment. RCI / Royal Caribbean also participated in the project, which completion was scheduled for 2018.
Frontier Pier has only one berth. It serves cruise liners and also commercial (cargo) ships.
Pan America Pier
Pan America Pier is located to the south of Old San Juan. The modern San Juan cruise ship terminal building at Pan America Pier is in Isla Grande. It serves larger cruise vessels.
Port San Juan also has drydock facilities (used for ship repairs and refurbishments) located between Pier 15 and Pier 16.
San Juan tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- El Morro Fort: the huge fort dates from 1539. It main service was to protect Port of San Juan from pirates. It is named after the Spanish patron – saint King Phillip. The full name of the fort is Castillo San Felipe del Morro.
- San Cristobal Fort: dates from the 18th century.
- La Fortaleza: dates from 1540 and it is the most ancient fort in San Juan. It used to be the governor’s official residence.
- Cathedral de San Juan: dates from 1592. The neoclassical cathedral is situated on Calle Cristo.
- Paseo de la Princesa and Paseo de la Muralla: take a walk along the old walls of the city. Both paths are to the waterfront.
- Escambron Beach: spent a leisure day at that beautiful beach. Enjoy breathtaking views along all the coastline (including El Morro Fort).
- Shopping: there are a lot of stores in Old San Juan. The main shopping streets are Fortaleza, Cristo and San Francisco. You can buy souvenirs, arts, fashion and jewelery from the craft markets at the Plaza de la Darsena and on Paseo de la Princesa. Located close to San Juan cruise port (Pier 1).
Hotels near San Juan cruise port terminal
- La Terraza de San Juan
- Condominium San Ildefonzo
- San Juan Park
- Villa Herencia Hotel
- Caleta 64 Apartments
- Posada San Francisco
- Ciqala Luxury Suites – San Juan
- Sheraton Puerto Rico Convention Center Hotel & Casino
- The Gallery Inn
- Hotel El Convento
- CasaBlanca Hotel
- Hotel Milano
- S.J. Suites Hotel
- Calle San Jose Apartments
- Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino
- Hotel Plaza De Armas
- Caribe Hilton
- Hotel Miramar
- Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton
- Courtyard San Juan Miramar
The San Juan cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near San Juan, Puerto Rico.
If you lose the San Juan location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port San Juan cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from San Juan, Puerto Rico. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
6 May, 2017
7 May, 2017
13 May, 2017
14 May, 2017
20 May, 2017
21 May, 2017
27 May, 2017
28 May, 2017
3 May, 2017
10 May, 2017
11 May, 2017
16 May, 2017
17 May, 2017
22 May, 2017
25 May, 2017
30 May, 2017
31 May, 2017
Governor Ricardo Rossello, together with the executive director of Ports Authority, Lic. Omar Marrero Diaz, announced improvements to Pan...April 11, 2017
The largest cruise ship in the world, Harmony of the Seas, docked for the first time in Puerto Rico as the United States' territory reports a tourism...December 29, 2016
Disney Cruise Line introduces Bonaire, a popular Caribbean destination, into the lineup of itineraries for early 2018. Limited-time engagements...October 26, 2016
Scheduled for delivery in December 2017, MSC Seaside will offer a 20-night trans-Atlantic crossing to her year-round home, PortMiami. The cruise is...May 23, 2016
U.S. authorities announced they had arrested seven people after finding 11 kilograms (24 pounds) of cocaine aboard a Royal Caribbean cruise...January 26, 2016
For the first time ever, Windstar Cruises completed its inaugural cruise from Puerto Rico, according to a statement by the company. On December...December 15, 2015
Puerto Rico Governor welcomed Anthem of the Seas to San Juan Puerto Rico, marking the beginning of tourist season on the island. During his address...November 25, 2015
A 56-year-old cruise passenger from New Mexico died after falling from a zip line, police said yesterday (October 20), prompting calls for better...October 21, 2015
- show more news