Santa Cruz Island is the Galapagos Islands archipelago's 2nd largest - after Isabela Island. The largest settlement is the Galapagos islands' capital Puerto Ayora (population around 12,000). On the island there are also several small villages, whose inhabitants are engaged in cattle raising and agriculture. Santa Cruz Island has a large dormant volcano (last eruptions around 1,5 million years ago).
Popular Santa Cruz Island shore excursion destinations are:
- Charles Darwin Research Station
- lava tunnel (length over 2000 m / 6600 ft)
- Los Gemelos holes (translated "The Twins"
- Galápagos National Park Service (headquarters)
- Giant Tortoise Preserves
- Black Turtle Cove - mangrove estuary on the northern coast
- Itabaca Channel - separates Santa Cruz and Baltra. It is crossed by water taxis with ferry passengers from Baltra Island.
- Tortuga Bay - has a 1,6 ml (2,5 km) long walking path (open between 6 am - 6pm), which is a 20-min walk from the Puerto Ayora's water taxi dock. Tortuga Bay has a huge beach with volcanic rocks. It is preserved for the wildlife - marine iguanas, galapagos crabs and tortoises, birds (incl brown pelicans). The bay has a separate cove where swimming is allowed.
- Los Gemelos
- Cerro Dragon
- Stand of Scalesia - daisy trees
Highlights: Puerto Ayora, Charles Darwin Research Station, Giant Tortoises, Cerro Dragon
Santa Cruz Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Santa Cruz Island dock (anchor) at Puerto Ayora - port town on the southern coast.
Santa Cruz Island tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Puerto Ayora town tour
- cruise ship embarkation with a welcome aboard cocktail
- Giant Tortoise Reserve tour
- guided walks. snorkeling, sea kayaking, daily lecture on the ship
- visiting Charles Darwin Research Station
- Usually follows a cruise itinerary sailing portion in the Galapagos National Park, visiting La Galapaguera (giant tortoises),, with one professionally guided tour each day.
The Santa Cruz Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Santa Cruz Island, Galapagos.
If you lose the Santa Cruz Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Santa Cruz Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Santa Cruz Island, Galapagos. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
1 October, 2016
3 October, 2016
4 October, 2016
7 October, 2016
8 October, 2016
10 October, 2016
11 October, 2016
12 October, 2016
13 October, 2016
14 October, 2016
15 October, 2016
17 October, 2016
18 October, 2016
20 October, 2016
21 October, 2016
22 October, 2016
24 October, 2016
25 October, 2016
26 October, 2016
27 October, 2016
28 October, 2016
29 October, 2016
31 October, 2016