Sassnitz is a port town located on Rugen Island (Jasmund peninsula, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern state of Germany). The town covers a total area of approx 46 km2 (18 ml2) and has population around 10,000.
- Sassnitz is a popular seaside resort and port town. It is a gateway to nearby Jasmund National Park and its unique chalk cliffs (Kreidefelsen), that inspired artists, such as Caspar David Friedrich. The town of Sassnitz is also the home of Rugen's only zoo, Sassnitz Wildlife Park.
- Sassnitz is the major tourist destination in Jasmund National Park, the smallest national park in Germany by area. The Konigsstuhl is the magnet in the park and at 118 m (387 ft), it is the highest point on chalk cliffs found in the national park.
- On the edge of Jasmund National Park is situated Sassnitz Wildlife Park, which is the only one of its kind on Rugen Island.
- The Glasbahnhof ("glass station") has lost its function due to the expansion of new Sassnitz Ferry Port and currently houses an exhibition and events hall along with Museum für Unterwasserarchäologie (Museum for Underwaterarchaeology). Here there are a few exhibits of Bootsfunde von Ralswiek (Ralswiek boat discovery).
- Fischerei- und Hafenmuseum (Fishing and Harbour Museum) documents the fishing history on Rugen and old Sassnitz harbour. Among the exhibits is the Fischcutter (Havel fishing smack). In the harbour, along with excursion and fishing boats, is HMS Otus, decommissioned British submarine and museum piece, as is Annemarie, the coastal sailing cargo boat which was converted into a passenger boat in 2007. HMS Otus was bought by a German entrepreneur and then towed to Sassnitz to serve a floating museum.
- Sassnitz Ferry Port located in the subdistrict of Mukran is Germany's easternmost deep water port. The location features the shortest sea links to Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Russian and Baltic states. The port is situated on Prorer Wiek bay immediately on the open sea and is therefore easy for vessels to dock here. Water depths of 10,50 m (34,4 ft) make it accessible to all classes of ship in Baltic Sea region.
Port Sassnitz cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Sassnitz, Rugen Island, Germany. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ship||Arrival||Departure||Next Port of Call|
|9 June, 2018|
|Saga Pearl II||08:00||16:00||Ornskoldsvik, Sweden|
The Sassnitz cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Sassnitz, Rugen Island, Germany.
If you lose the Sassnitz location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.