Saunders Island (Isla Trinidad) is one of the Falkland Islands, located north west of West Falkland, Falkland Islands. The island covers a total area of approx 131,6 km2 (50,8 ml2).
- Saunders Island is run as a sheep farm. Port Egmont, established in 1765 on Saunders, was the site of the first British settlement. Abandoned by both British and Spanish by 1774 it is the site of British plaque proclaiming sovereignty over the Falklands.
- Island's present settlement, called appropriately Saunders Island Settlement, is on the east coast and features an airstrip.
- There is one listed building on the island, popular as the Stone House. Permanent structures exist outside the Settlement with electricity, heat and running water for the tourist industry. There is a building for 8 guests at the Neck as well as an additional building which holds 4 guests called Rookery Inn. Currently, Saunders Island is owned by Poole-Evans family maintaining the farm at the Settlement.
- Saunders has been identified as an Important Bird Area (IBA) by BirdLife International. Wildlife on Saunders Island includes black-browed albatrosses, gentoo, rockhopper, Magellanic and king penguins, as well as many other birds.
- Conservation issues on the island include the danger of fire, erosion prone regions close to the coast, overgrazing as well as the presence of feral cats, rabbits, mice, rats. Clearance of these species is unlikely in near future due to the size of the island and varied geography. Spear thistle, which is accidentally introduced to Saunders Island, though there are hopes that this plant can be eradicated. There is a breeding colony of southern elephant seals located at Elephant Point, while a number of southern right whales come into island's bays to feed or rest.
Highlights: Gentoo & Rockhopper penguins
Saunders Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Saunders Island Falkland Islands dock (anchor) at Saunders - port town on the eastern coast.
The Saunders Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Saunders Island, Falkland Islands.
If you lose the Saunders Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Saunders Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Saunders Island, Falkland Islands. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
23 November, 2017