Skjoldungen (Saqqisikuik in Greenlandic) is a large uninhabited island located in King Frederick VI Coast, southeastern Greenland. The island covers a total area of approx 450,3 km2 (173,9 ml2).
- Administratively, Skjoldungen Island is part of Sermersooq municipality. Island's weather is characterized by typical tundra climate.
- Skjoldungen Island was named by Wilhelm August Graah (1793–1863; Danish Arctic explorer and naval officer) after Skioldungen or Skjoldungen, a honorific title for the Scyldings (successors) of legendary King Skjold to ancient Danish throne according to Norse mythology.
- Skjoldungen Island lies between two fjords, Southern Skjoldungen Fjord (Sonder Skjoldungesund or Inugsuarmiut), situated to the southwest, and Northern Skjoldungen Fjord (Nordre Skjoldungesund) located to the northeast between one of the arms of Thorland Peninsula and Skjoldungen. Morke Sound (Morkesund) is a 700 m (2,297 ft) wide sound which joins both fjords in the northwest, separating the island from mainland.
- Skjoldungen Island stretches 49 km (30 ml) in a northeast/southwest direction. Its highest elevation point is Azimuthbjerg at 1,738 m which is a high ultra-prominent peak at the northwest end of the island. the maximum width of Skjoldungen is 14 km (9 ml).
- Skjoldungen Island features a rugged terrain, including Bjarje, Hjalte and Skjoldmoen glaciers as well as Gedebukken, Pandebrasken, Sfinksen and Skuren nunataks. The southern part divides into a pair of peninsulas jutting southeastwards, Roar Peninsula (Roar Halvo) and Helge Peninsula (Helges Halvo).
- The southernmost headland of Skjoldungen Island is Cape Niels Juel, which is a narrow cape of reddish-brown rock located at the end of Helge Peninsula.
Highlights: Abandoned settlement, Wildlife watching
Port Skjoldungen Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Skjoldungen Island, Greenland. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ship||Arrival||Departure||Next Port of Call|
|20 July, 2018|
|RCGS Resolute||Prince Christian Sound, Greenland|
|22 July, 2018|
|Le Soleal||Herjolfsnes, Greenland|
The Skjoldungen Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Skjoldungen Island, Greenland.
If you lose the Skjoldungen Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.