Sommaroy is a populated island located in the western part of Tromso municipality, Troms county, Norway. The island covers a total area of approx 0,9 km2 (0,35 ml2) and has a population of around 320 people (2013 census), which gives a population density of 883 inhabitants per km2.
- Sommaroy Island lies 36 km (22 ml) west of the city of Tromso and is a hot tourist destination due to its scenery and white sand beaches. The island is connected to neighboring Kvaloya island by Sommaroy Bridge.
- The fishing village of Sommaroy covers the isle as well as part of neighboring island of Hillesoya and lots of smaller surrounding islands. The village of Sommaroy is a typical fishing village with local fishing fleets and fish processing. Tourism is also important. A hotel and rental cabins are available.
- The main produce is herring, that is processed and packed in a modern processing plant where it's frozen for global export. The fishing community is a major contributor to the economy of Norway, and the per capita export value is substantial.
- The original settlement site was on neighboring Hillesoya island where the old Hillesoy Church spot was and where successive churches stood from the Middle Ages until late 1800s when the church changed its place to Brensholmen, Kvaloya. The main centre moved to Sommaroy around 1900.
- The beaches on Sommaroy Island are of Riviera standard. There are plenty of warm and shallow coves.
Highlights: White sandy beaches
Sommaroy Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Sommaroy Island Norway dock (anchor) at Tromso.
The Sommaroy Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Sommaroy Island, Norway.
If you lose the Sommaroy Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Sommaroy Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Sommaroy Island, Norway. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
26 May, 2018