Tanna (also spelled Tana) is an island located in Tafea Province of Vanuatu. The island covers a total area of approx 550 km2 (210 ml2) and has a population of around 28,800 people (2009 census).
- Tanna Island is 40 km (25 ml) long and 19 km (12 ml) wide. Its highest point is the summit of Mount Tukosmera, 1,084 m (3,556 ft), located in the south.
- Siwi Lake was situated in the east, and northeast of the peak, near the coast until the middle of April 2000 when after unusually heavy rain, Siwi burst down into Sulphur Bay and destroyed the village, happily with no loss of life. On the southeast coast lies Mount Yasur, which is an accessible active volcano.
- Tanna Island is the most populous in Tafea Province and one of the most populous in the country. The provincial administrative capital, Isangel, is on the west coast close to the largest town Lenakel.
- Tanna is almost entirely populated by Melanesians. They follow a more traditional lifestyle than other islands. Some of the higher located villages are popular as kastom villages, where contemporary inventions are restricted, the locals wear penis sheaths (nambas) and grass skirts, the kids do not go to public schools.
- Tanna Island is the centre of John Frum religious movement, attracting tourist interest as cargo cult. The first wave of the movement was a means to escape from Tanna Law, imposed from early 20th century until World War II by the Presbyterian mission at Lenakel.
- Tanna Island is among the most fertile in Vanuatu. It produces coffee, copra, coconut, kava and other fruits and vegetables. Tourism has become more important, as visitors are attracted to the traditional culture and the volcano. To help preserve culture's integrity as a tourism asset, only locals are permitted to act as guides.
Highlights: Volcanic island, Cargo cult
Tanna Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Tanna Island dock (anchor) at Lenakel - port town on the western coast.
The Tanna Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Tanna Island, Vanuatu.
If you lose the Tanna Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Tanna Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Tanna Island, Vanuatu. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
27 October, 2017