Tarragona is a port city located on Catalonia's Costa Daurada (northeastern Spain) and on Mediterranean Sea. The city has population around 132,200 and covers a total area of 58 km2 (22 ml2).
In 2017, the port of Tarragona and one of Europe's major cruise lines -Costa Cruises, signed a deals for homeporting here the 1727-passenger cruise ship Costa neoRiviera between June 2 and September 22, 2017. The port's proximity to Barcelona and the myriad of attractions in and around the city makes Tarragona an attractive and cheap departure port for Costa Crociere. The scheduled weekly departures plus 2 additional ship calls (by the bigger ship Costa Favolosa /3,780-pax) resulted in around 47,00 cruise tourist to the port in the 2017 season. neoRiviera's departures were scheduled for the Fridays. The ship's Mediterranean itinerary included visiting Savona, Porto Torres (Sardinia Island), Port Mahon (Menorca Island), Ibiza Island, Formentera Island, and Palma de Mallorca (Majorca Island) on 7-day round-trips from Tarragona.
- Tarragona lies on the Catalonia coast of western Mediterranean Sea, southwest of Barcelona. The city's archaeological museum has an exclusive collection of Roman statuary. The remains of defensive walls and a Roman amphitheatre are in the city, and a 2-tiered Roman aqueduct is close by. The Romanesque cathedral (constructed during the 12th century is famous for its Gothic facade. Nearby are the beaches of Costa Dorado.
- Founded by the Iberians in ancient times, Tarragona was conquered by the Romans. They developed it into one of their major and splendid towns in late 3rd century BC. The Moors razed Tarragona in the 8th century AD. Following a period of decline, the fortunes of Tarragona were restored during the 12th century.
- Tarragona is home to a comparatively large port and Rovira i Virgili University. Much of the economic activity comes from chemical industries situated south of the city.
- Popular Retinue is the main living heritage, a great parade of dances and bestiary. They participate in Santa Tecla Festival and are so popular in Tarragona and all Catalonia that they have their own home called "Casa de la Festa", Festivities House.
- A number of beaches, some of which awarded Blue Flag designation, line along the Mediterranean coast close to the city.
- Tarragona is situated near the resort of Salou and PortAventura amusement park, one of the largest in Europe.
- In 2018 the city is going to host the Mediterranean Games, a year later than planned, due to economical and political instability.
- Tarragona has a number of small restaurants, bars and cafes serving sandwiches, tapas and local seafood, as well as Catalan dishes including "neules i torrons" or "pa amb tomàquet". Many such outlets are located in the historic centre, including those at Plaça del Rei, Plaça del Fòrum and Plaça de la Font. El Serrallo's neighbourhood, at the harbour, is specialised in seafood cuisine.
- Between 1903-1989, Chartreuse, the French liqueur made by Carthusian Monks, was distilled in Tarragona, following monks' expulsion from France.
Highlights: Costa Dorada, Roman ruins, Romanesque cathedral
The Tarragona cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Tarragona, Spain.
If you lose the Tarragona location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Tarragona cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Tarragona, Spain. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
22 April, 2017
25 April, 2017
After years of effort, the tiny Spanish port of Tarragona succeeded in attracting the attention of one of the major cruise lines: Costa Cruises...February 12, 2017
MS The World called at Tarragona this weekend. The largest private cruise ship on the planet spent two days visiting Costa Daurada. The Residensea...August 1, 2016
- show more news