Torshavn cruise port is among the most popular summer call ports in the North Atlantic. The capital of the Faroe Islands (state of Denmark) is located almost midway between Iceland and Norway, north-west of Scotland on the Streymoy island. It is one of the smallest capital towns in the world. It has 17 thousand citizens. Torshavn cruise port is the gateway to seventeen islands without any populations. The city looks lively with its houses painted brightly. The people are friendly and the traditional cuisine offers delicious food.
Torshavn cruise port is in the itineraries of major cruise lines including P&O Cruises, Crystal Cruises, Phoenix, Swan Hellenic, Cunard, Oceania, Saga, Holland America Line, Azamara, Silversea, Royal Caribbean and Hapag Lloyd.
In 2014, Disney Cruises was the first of all three (for now) cruise ship companies (followed in 2016 by AIDA Cruises and Hapag-Lloyd Cruises) that have banned Faroe Islands (a Danish territory) as destination part of their North European itineraries. The boycott is due to the island nation's traditional mass slaughter of pilot whales each year. The protected by Denmark gruesome practice of killing whales is called “Grindadrap Grind". Locals use motor boats to drive a pod of whales into a harbor. The defenseless animals are dragged to the shallow water and brutally slaughtered by locals armed with knives (16-19 cm / 6 8 inch long) while their families cheer them on. The killing party even rip out baby whales from their mothers. Faroe Islands have population of about 50,000 and kill each year over 1,000 pilot whales.
Highlights: Tórshavn Dome, Tórshavn harbour
Torshavn cruise terminal
Torshavn cruise port doesn’t have a dedicated terminal. The cruise ships dock at the commercial pier at the eastern breakwater or if it is busy already, the cruise ships anchor in the bay and the passengers are tendered ashore.
The dock is within walking distance from the old and from the modern part of the town.
If there is no possibility to dock at Torshavn cruise port or to anchor in the bay, cruise vessels dock at the alternative Kollafjord port. Shuttle buses are provided. The distance to Torshavn cruise port is 24 km, direction North.
The official language is Danish. The local currency used at Torshavn cruise port is the Danish Krona (DKK).
Torshavn tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Tinganes: those are the cliffs that divide Torshvan in two. It used to be the place where the Norwegian settlers met and the political life center.
- Kirkjubø: the Streymoy’s southernmost village is famous with the fact that here used to be the seat of the bishop. You can see the Múrurin remnants and the Ólavskirkjan. The Mururin cathedral was constructed in the 14th century, Ólavskirkjan dates from the 12th century.
- Faroese evening: amazing event, that you should visit. They are arranged mainly in June and July.
- The Faroe Islands Art Museum: located at Gundadalsvegur 9. It houses rich Faroese art collections. The most famous works are by Sámal Joensen-Mikines. The collections are permanent.
- Listagluggin: located at Dr. Jacobsensgøta 15. It houses contemporary Faroese art.
- Historical Museum: located at Kúrdalsvegur 2. It houses artifacts and pictures to tell you the Faroe Islands’ life in time.
- The Faroese Museum of Natural History: located at V. U. Hammershaimbs gøta 13.
- The Nordic House: located at Norðari Ringvegur. The architecture of the house combines Norwegian, Danish, Swedish and Finnish influences. The Nordic House houses Faroese and Nordic art forum. It includes art exhibitions, theater, concert and dance performances.
The Torshavn cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Torshavn, Streymoy, Faroe Islands.
If you lose the Torshavn location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Torshavn cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Torshavn, Streymoy, Faroe Islands. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
17 May, 2017
22 May, 2017