Uummannaq is a port town on Uummannaq Island in Qaasuitsup (northwest Greenland). It has population of around 1,300, ranking it the Greenland's 11th-largest town. It also has the country's northernmost ferry terminal.
- The town was founded in 1763 (under the name Umanak) as a hunting and fishing station. Later, here was built a canning factory and developed a marble quarry.
- Uummannaq Island is located approx 590 km (367 ml) north of the Arctic Circle.
- Uummannaq Mountain rises sharply to a highest elevation point of 1170 m (3839 ft).
- From the Uummannaq Heliport, the domestic airline Air Greenland operates helicopter services to Qaarsut Airport. The neighbouring villages are served by cargo helicopters from the heliport. During summer, the Royal Arctic Line (state-owned freight company) operates small ship cargo services to the neighbouring villages, as well as to Qaarsut.
- Children in Denmark and Greenland are tought that Santa Claus lives in the west part of Uummannaq Island (Spraglebugten Bay).
Uummannaq Greenland was included as port of call in the Northwest Passage cruises of the following passenger ships:
- Seven Seas Navigator - 63-days itinerary from Miami Florida to Montreal Quebec (2017 - June 17 to August 18)
- Note: All Northwest Passage ship transits are assisted by a Canadian icebreaker or other vessel with an ice-strengthened hull.
Highlights: Dundas, Cape York, Meteor Island, Thule Airbase
The Uummannaq cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Uummannaq, Greenland.
If you lose the Uummannaq location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Uummannaq cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Uummannaq, Greenland. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
27 August, 2017