Volendam is a port town located in Edam-Volendam municipality, North Holland, the Netherlands. The town has a population of around 22,000 people.
- Originally, the town was the location of the harbor of nearby Edam, situated at the mouth of IJ bay. In 1357, Edam's inhabitants dug a shorter canal to Zuiderzee with its own harbor which removed the need for the original one, then dammed and employed in land reclamation. Local fishermen and farmers settled there, forming the new Vollendam community, which literally meant 'Filled dam'.
- In the early 20th century Volendam became an artists' retreat, with both Renoir and Picasso spending time here. The majority of town's population belongs to Roman Catholic Church, that is deeply connected to the culture of Volendam. Historically, many bishops and missionaries grew up in the town. Currently, there is the chapel of Our Lady of the Water, situated in the park.
- Volendam is a very popular tourist attraction in the Netherlands, famous for its old fishing boats and traditional clothing still worn by many residents. The women's costume, with its high, pointed bonnet, is among the most recognizable of Dutch traditional costumes, and is often featured on postcards and posters (though there are fewer than 50 women now wearing it as part of their daily lives, most elderly).
- There is a regular ferry connection from Volendam to Marken, a peninsula close by. Volendam also has a small museum about its clothing style and history, and visitors can have pictures taken in traditional Dutch costumes.
- The town is also well known for its distinctive music, called Palingsound ("eel sound", literally) in reference to Volendam's status as a fishing village. During 1960s, the local group The Cats was a popular group in the Netherlands and abroad.
- In the 2000 to 2001 New Year's night, the lighting of a pack of sparklers caused an intense fire at a party in De Hemel Cafe. The sparklers ignited the Christmas decorations on the ceiling, that fell down in their entirety and inflicted the death of 14 people. 200 were seriously injured.
Highlights: Traditional Town, Keukenhof Gardens
Port Volendam cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Volendam, Holland. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
The Volendam cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Volendam, Holland.
If you lose the Volendam location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.