Westray is one of Scotland's Orkney Islands. The island covers a total area of approx 47,13 km2 (18,2 ml2), making it the 6th largest of Orkney Islands. Westray Island has usual resident population of under 600 people.
- The main village on the island is Pierowall, featuring a heritage centre, 15th-century Lady Kirk church and regular ferries to Papa Westray.
- The underlying geology of Westray Island is Rousay type Middle Old Red Sandstone, flagstones of which are excellent building materials. The soil is noted for fertility and there is very little peat.
- Flights leave Westray Airport at Aikerness on the island for Kirkwall on Orkney Mainland, as well as to Papa Westray (called Papay by locals) in the shortest scheduled flight in the world, of only two minutes. The major ferry terminal is located at Rapness with regular cruises to Kirkwall by Orkney Ferries.
- The main industries on Westray Island are cattle farming, fish farming and fishing. Tourism is also of great importance to the economy. Westray Wife, the local cheese, is organic unpasturised cheese that is available in mature and mild varieties. It marries well with the local bakery goods (including oatcakes) and Westray chutneys (all Fairtrade). Fresh fish, lobster and seafood is available locally of a very high standard.
- Westray Development Trust is popular for its recycling initiatives and renewable energy. It planned to make the isle of Westray self-sufficient in energy. A community-owned 900 kW wind turbine was erected in 2009, the 3rd large-scale project of the type in Scotland.
- The dramatic sea cliffs around Noup Head home thousands of seabirds. During the 1990s the Rattus rattus (black rat) may have been present though they haven't been recorded since. The Orkney vole and mice are present, as are European otters.
Highlights: Orkney Island, Knap of Howar, Holland House museum
Westray Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Westray Island dock (anchor) at Pierowall - port town on the north-eastern coast.
The Westray Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Westray Island, Papa Westray, Orkney, Scotland.
If you lose the Westray Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Westray Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Westray Island, Papa Westray, Orkney, Scotland. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
3 June, 2018